Christy uses innovative problem solving to defend and protect her clients’ investments in technology against intellectual property holders who stand between them and their enforcement actions. She combines a deep understanding of her clients’ businesses with creative legal insight and a commitment to fighting tenaciously for her clients’ business and courtroom interests. Christy provides cost-effective representation to clients at all stages of litigation, from claim evaluation through discovery, trial, post-trial briefing, and appeals.
Christy’s clients come from a wide range of industries and include manufacturers and distributors of software, chemical, medical device and packaging products. She has litigated in United States federal district courts across the country, including the Eastern District of Texas, the Northern District of California, the District of Delaware, and the Northern District of Georgia, just to name a few.
Christy guides her international clients in their cross-border, US-based patent litigation matters. She ensures that her clients develop comfort with the domestic legal system and ensures simultaneous compliance with data privacy laws in the foreign jurisdiction and US discovery obligations. She also aggressively seeks to use the courts’ subpoena power and international agreements to obtain documents and information from foreign-based sources, when necessary.
Christy is regularly recognized as a leader in her profession, including as a Super Lawyers Rising Star in Patent Litigation in 2014-2017.
- Co-author, Patent Rights: What the Federal Court Giveth, the Supreme Court Taketh Away? The Federal Lawyer (Jan/Feb, 2013)
- Co-author, Pleading Director Knowledge, In Brief, Practicing Law Institute (October 28, 2009)
- Author, Fantasy Football: Illegal Gambling or Legal Game of Skill? North Carolina Journal of Law & Technology, 8 N.C J.L. & Tech. 59 (Fall, 2006)
- American Bar Association
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Carolina Club (Washington, DC)
Honors and Awards
Selected to the Georgia Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Patent Litigation, 2014 – 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- In 2018, Christy defended Graphic Packaging International, Inc. against antitrust allegations based, in part, on assertions of sham patent litigation. Christy litigated this case through discovery and expert discovery, ultimately obtaining a complete summary judgment in Graphic Packaging’s favor.
- In 2017, Christy represented DynaEnergetics in a patent and trademark suit brought by GEODynamics in the Eastern District of Texas. After a four day jury trial, DynaEnergetics obtained a complete defense verdict, including findings of noninfringement and three different bases of invalidity for each of the patent claims. At a subsequent bench trial on the trademark “reactive,” Judge Payne issued a judgment canceling GEODynamics’ incontestable trademark, finding that it was generic.
- Christy represented a large manufacturing client in defense of a patent infringement suit involving the company’s signature product. After successfully transferring the case from California to the client’s home base in North Carolina, Christy litigated this case through claim construction, discovery, and summary judgment. Prior to trial, the parties were able to reach an amicable resolution that allowed our client to continue manufacturing its key product.
- In 2012, Christy helped win a patent infringement case in the Middle District of Florida for the primary producer of paperboard packaging for the soft drink industry. After a five-day jury trial, the validity of a patent covering the industry transforming paperboard container for twelve-pack beverages was upheld and found infringed by the competitor.
- Represented numerous clients in inter partes review proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.