Only superlative achievement merits Hall of Fame induction, and Carolyn is in the Hall of Fame of Commercial Real Estate Women of Atlanta. She achieved this honor in recognition of her 35+ years of leadership and experience counseling clients in commercial loan transactions and in commercial real estate acquisitions and dispositions.
In the field of commercial lending, Carolyn represents financial institutions in structuring and closing complex secured and unsecured loans. She is a member of the Firm’s Opinion Letter Committee and frequently reviews and negotiates legal opinions when the Firm represents a borrower client in a loan transaction.
As a veteran real estate lawyer, Carolyn collaborates with clients to understand their goals and to identify and evaluate risks associated with buying or selling various kinds of real estate, including commercial, industrial, multifamily and leasehold properties. Carolyn has particular experience in most relevant real estate matters, including specialized areas such as mineral rights and environmental covenants.
Carolyn is an active participant in the Firm’s initiative to foster the legal training and business development skills of its women lawyers, and she serves as a mentor to young partners and associates.
Presentations and Publications
- Outside the Courtroom: Conflicts of Law in Non-Litigious Situations, 37 Washington & Lee Law Review 161 (1980).
- 1979-1980 Securities Law Developments, Section 17(a) of the '33 Act: Defining the Scope of Antifraud Protection, 37 Washington & Lee Law Review 859 (1980)
- Key Workout Issues for Real Estate and Commercial Loans
- Impact of Bankruptcy on Secured Transactions
- Closing Commercial Real Estate Transactions
Civic and Professional Activities
- Past President, Commercial Real Estate Women of Atlanta (CREW)
- CREW Atlanta Hall of Fame (2015)
- Leadership CREW Class of 2014
- Past Delegate, CREW National Network
- CREW Past Presidents Advisory Committee
- Member, Georgia Bar Association, Real Property Section
- Member, American Bar Association, Real Property Law Section
- Past Co-Chair, Stewardship Campaign, The Cathedral of St. Philip
- Patron, The Atlanta Opera
- Ensemble Singer, St. Philip's Ministry to the Homeless
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Real Estate Law, 2018
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2009
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented an international company headquartered in Israel in the acquisition and development of raw land as a $110 million manufacturing facility. Representation included resolution of issues involving zoning, permitting, title and restrictive covenants, environmental compliance, state and local economic incentives and financing.
- Represented joint venture composed of a Canadian pension manager and a US subsidiary of a foreign investment vehicle in connection with the $3.15 billion acquisition of 209 industrial properties (58 million square feet) and financing via real estate secured loans from 5 financial institutions and life insurance companies.
- Represented a Canadian mining company in analyzing a complex series of transfers of mining rights and transfers of ownership of the real property affected by such mining rights to enable the client to pre-emptively clear title to enhance the likelihood of a speedy sale.
- Represented a boutique hotel owner in financing the re-development of a historic power generation site on the Savannah River through a $135 million syndicated loan, $23 million mezzanine financing, $33,060,000 bond financing, $10 million historic tax credits, and $19 million in related investments.
- Represented the lender in closing multiple credit facilities equaling $54 million to a national trucking/transportation company.
- Represented a large regional bank in loan transactions involving purchases of tax anticipation notes totaling $45 million issued by various municipalities.