Alice is an Associate in our London office with ten years' fee earning experience centring on insurance and reinsurance. Her specific area of expertise is the defence of professional negligence claims against members of the legal, financial and construction professions; from Letters of Claim under the relevant Pre-Action Protocol through to litigation. She also has experience defending claims brought against Directors & Officers and regularly provides coverage advice to the firm's insurer clients.
Alice has undertaken two secondments to London market insurers in recent years, the most recent of which was to the largest independent speciality Managing General Agent (MGA) in the London market. During her secondments, Alice handled a broad case load of PI and D&O claims and gained invaluable insight into the inner workings of the London insurance market. She also built up strong relationships with brokers, underwriters and claims handlers which she has continued to maintain.
Examples of experience include:
- Bakrania & Anor v Shah & Ors  EWHC 949 (Ch) – a claim concerning alleged mortgage fraud against two firms of solicitors and HMLR. Acted for the Fourth and Fifth Defendants in the earlier successful, but unreported, strike out and relief from sanctions applications (pursuing the former and resisting the latter).
- Defending an Isle of Man-based law firm in a multi-party million-pound litigated claim concerning a failed Inheritance Tax mitigation scheme.
- Acting on a claim in the TCC regarding a retirement home which had been designed and built with insufficient foundations, resulting in significant ground heave.
- Assisting the Directors and Officers of a company to resist a claim from various shareholders who had invested pursuant to a Memorandum which they claimed was in breach of s.21 of FSMA 2000.
- Investigating coverage in relation to an assertion from the ARP that a law firm was a Successor Practice, owing to its having employed a former Sole Practitioner.
- Attending mediations and without prejudice meetings, representing insurers’ and policyholders’ interests.
Recently described by a client as going "above and beyond", delivering work to a high standard and demonstrating a "confident and professional approach".