As generation from renewable sources continues to grow, so the energy storage sector becomes increasingly important to the UK economy. In spite of some regulatory, technological and financial challenges, storage projects of all types are some of the most exciting energy infrastructure schemes, offering significant opportunity to developers, operators and investors.
We have an abundance of energy storage experience and act for some of the UK's best-known energy companies, developers and industrial clients. Our team understand the commercial realities of storage projects and can draw on extensive first-hand experience.
Clients turn to us to advise them on a full range of issues from land acquisition, funding and planning consents, to regulatory issues, grid connection matters and potential revenue streams.
We have also worked with major industrial and commercial consumers on the potential contribution that large scale electricity storage could make to the operation of their businesses.
- Renewable Energy Systems (RES) on the sale of battery storage projects, including on the implications of the project obtaining a Capacity Market agreement
- RES on the site acquisition and associated rights issues and sales of various battery storage developments
- KiWi Power on a range of issues relating to the development of large, stand-alone battery storage projects (of up to 10MW) and also in relation to the roll-out of smaller 250kW units to industrial and commercial customers
- Vattenfall on the implications of installing new storage projects on the site of existing renewables projects
- REG on the eligibility of projects, and the process for accessing a number of contracts that give financial support to projects including battery storage developments (including the Capacity Market, Short-term Operating Reserve contracts and Frequency Response tenders)
- Network Rail on a range of issues relating to the installation of a series of 10MW battery storage projects at strategic sites on the rail network
- Element Power in the procurement of planning permission for an enhanced frequency response energy storage scheme in England
- Various developers and landowners in relation to the real estate aspects of battery storage projects (including drafting bespoke heads of terms) from assisting with initial site identification through to completion of legal documentation
- Several developers, including Vattenfall and REG, on regulatory issues relating to the co-location of storage and renewables projects at the same site, including drafting and negotiating grid capacity sharing agreements
- A number of developers on their capacity market applications, including for storage projects.
"They produce excellent work. They display flexibility, adaptability and are very easy to work with."