Sebastian is a partner in the firm's corporate team with a focus on energy and natural resources. He divides his time between the London and Southampton offices. He has acted on transactions for the sale, purchase, financing or investment in more than 60 renewable energy projects with a combined capacity in excess of 5GW, including RWE Npower’s ground breaking Zephyr transaction.
He has been active in the renewable energy sector for more than 15 years and much of his practice is focused upon strategy and the development, acquisition and financing of assets. He has experience across the full range of technologies, including onshore wind, offshore wind, solar, wave and tidal, bio-diesel, combined heat and power, biomass and energy from waste and energy storage. In addition to his transactional practice, Sebastian advises corporate clients on governance and other risk and compliance related matters. He regularly presents seminars on these subjects.
Following outstanding client feedback Sebastian was named as a star lawyer in the ‘Acritas Stars’ global database for 2018.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Renewable Energy Systems and InfraRed Capital in relation to the sale and other commercial arrangements in respect of 18 wind and solar PV projects located in the United Kingdom and France to The Renewables Infrastructure Group (TRIG). The sale was funded by the £300 million initial public offering (IPO) raised by TRIG on the London Stock Exchange, the largest ever flotation of a dedicated UK-based renewable energy fund
- RWE Npower in relation to Zephyr, the sale and financing of seventeen wind farm project including the North Hoyle offshore project and the 92MW Farr wind farm
- A number of clients on corporate simplifications and reorganisations, including companies in the USA, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Ireland, Australia, Israel, the Netherlands, Hungary and France
- REG Windpower on three portfolio financings (of, in total, ten onshore projects) and a standalone project
- REG Windpower on the sale of three onshore wind projects to BlackRock including the establishment of long term partnering arrangements
- Broadview Energy on the sale of a 25MW portfolio of three wind farms to Infinis.
- Renewable Energy Generation on the sale of its entire operating and consented wind and solar portfolio to a fund managed by US investment company BlackRock, and its subsequent de-listing from AIM
- Coriolis Energy on its development partnership with Ireland’s premier energy company ESB, and
- Renewable Energy Systems on the sale of the Port of Tyne 35MW battery storage project to the Foresight Group.
"Understands what his clients want to achieve, identifies risks and provides solutions that make sense for the business" and notes that he is singled out for his "impressive knowledge of the energy sector".
"Offers an exceptional level of experience and sound advice for our transactions. He is personable and professional, and finds practical solutions to the issues we face".
"Brings a strong commercial perspective".
"Brings a very rational approach to things, talks a lot of sense and knows the industry inside and out".
"Technical excellence and ability to work within our own business, to act as if he is part of our business."
"Asks all the right questions and picks up issues we've missed - that's what his experience gives you."