Susan is an experienced private client lawyer with a national client base. She joined the firm in 2011, having previously worked for Addleshaw Goddard in Leeds for 12 years.
Susan specialises in advising private clients, their families and trustees on a wide range of issues, in particular those relating to estate planning and capital taxation. This involves complex Will and trust drafting and providing advice on asset protection and inheritance tax mitigation. Susan has extensive experience of advising individuals and trustees owning private company shares.
Examples of experience include:
- Restructuring of substantial family trusts to achieve tax efficient succession planning for current and future generations
- Advising both individual and corporate trustees on all aspects of trusteeship, including trustees’ duties and powers and potential claims by beneficiaries
- Advising the owners of private company shares on pre-sale tax planning and succession planning
- Complex Will drafting for high net worth individuals
- Advising high net worth individuals on tax efficient succession planning through the use of lifetime trusts.
"Susan is a real pleasure to work with. She is communicative, approachable and very aware of the finer details."
"One of the top lawyers in her area of expertise and is very responsive to client concerns. She makes the process work with her patience and clear explanations."
"She gets stuff done, and she makes it all go along very smoothly, especially with difficult issues. She has a nice manner about her which diffuses difficult situations."
"Susan Maxey is an excellent Director who fully understands how difficult this area can be for clients. She always ensures that the client has an understanding of the issues and the solutions. She is very patient and clear with a very nice style which is appreciated by clients."
"Susan Maxey is smart, knowledgeable and effective. She understands complex situations and is able to convey the reasons behind her legal solution clearly and effectively to the client."
"I rate Susan Maxey as absolutely outstanding in this area – switched on, technically accomplished, business-savvy and, above all, a gifted communicator."
"She is really sharp, she doesn't miss a trick. She works well with others, she is very diligent and thorough. She's absolutely great. I have no hesitation recommending her."