Simon heads up the transactional arm of the Construction and Engineering Team. He advises government and public bodies, local authorities, universities, developers and major contractors in all aspects of transactional construction advice covering construction procurement, funding issues, standard form and bespoke building contracts, consultants’ appointments, collateral warranties, construction security (performance bonds and parent company guarantees).
- Education & Skills Funding Agency - Simon advised directly on the EFA’s National Contractor Frameworks 1, 2 and 3 for the procurement of contractors (including all model documents) for the delivery of Academy/BSF/Free Schools projects and currently working with the Education Funding Authority on the delivery of the Priority Schools Building Programme Capital Works programme and its Regional Contractors Framework.
- Education & Skills Funding Agency - Simon heads the Construction Team advising EFA and each of the proposers on the first four waves of the Coalition Government’s Free Schools Programme. This involved advising on a new build, refurbishment and temporary accommodation projects for Free Schools throughout the country.
- University of Northumbria – City Campus East - Simon advised the University on the design and construction of its landmark £110 million City Campus East development in the city centre of Newcastle upon Tyne which provides a new business and law school for the University. The project is of key strategic importance to the University of Northumbria in developing its estates strategy over the next decade and the project involved negotiating the terms of the design team appointments, building contract and all supporting security and warranty documentation for the University in order to satisfy its requirements and those of its funders, Barclays Bank Plc. The project also included advising on the construction and procurement of a £7 million inter site bridge across the central motorway in Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Bellway plc. - Simon is the client relationship partner managing the firm’s relationship with this national housebuilder. The firm advises all three Northern Divisions of the group on all property acquisitions and disposals as well at Group level on corporate litigation, registered provider and HCA transactions.
- University of Durham - Simon has acted for the University on a number of teaching, research and accommodation projects, including the latest £50m Gateway Project to provide new library and central facilities, including joint ventures with other colleges.
- North East Procurement Limited (a regional social housing public procurement body) - Simon advised on the procurement of a number of multi-supplier regional Frameworks arrangements – renewables supply, renewables installation, new build and planned maintenance. These frameworks allow member registered providers to access, via licences and sub-licences, specialist contractors and suppliers at reduced/rebated prices with contracts being called off when required.
Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession identifies Simon as a leader in his field in the North of England for Construction.