Seiko Okada is a dedicated, proactive attorney. That's why clients turn to Seiko for counsel: They know her tenacious and dynamic approach to their issue will result in a solution that aligns with their strategic goals. She is a multidisciplinary attorney with a Ph.D. and an M.D., experienced in life sciences, including cell biology, proteomics, genetics, gene editing, agricultural biotechnology, physiology, immunology, diagnostics, and therapeutics. Seiko assists clients with intellectual property matters in biotechnology and life sciences, including the areas noted above. Seiko also advises clients with product liability matters, specializing in witness development in litigation involving complex medical and scientific issues.
Before joining Womble Bond Dickinson, Seiko interned with Judge James A. Wynn of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. Seiko was a scientist at the University of North Carolina Cystic Fibrosis/Pulmonary Research and Treatment Center. She was also a physician specializing in pulmonary/critical care medicine. Seiko brings her patient-oriented clinical approach and meticulous analytical scientific approach to her legal practice to achieve her clients’ needs and beyond.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications related to diagnostics, therapeutics, and biotechnology.
- Manage global patent portfolios for biopharmaceutical clients and assist with formulating intellectual property strategies and risk assessment.
- Work with expert witnesses in litigation involving medical or scientific issues. Analyze and develop case strategy.
- Research, analyze, and report medical and scientific issues to facilitate clients’ product development and market assessment.
- Assist Japan-related companies with expanding or conducting business in the United States.
Honors & Awards
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America (BL Rankings), Patent Law, 2023