*Mr. Breining is not licensed to practice law. His activities are directly supervised by members of the firm licensed to practice law.
Dr. Scott Breining is a patent agent, focusing on intellectual property matters associated with chemistry and biotechnology. Scott’s current practice primarily involves drafting and prosecuting patent applications for clients including university faculty, small companies and large, multinational corporations.
Scott has an inventor’s perspective based on a career of more than 20 years as a scientist in the pharmaceutical industry. Prior to becoming a Patent Agent, Scott worked in small molecule drug discovery and development, primarily in the therapeutic areas of central nervous system disorders, antibacterials and oncology. Scott is an inventor on many issued patents, and is the author or co-author of numerous papers on various aspects of synthetic organic and medicinal chemistry.
As a medicinal chemist, Scott led or served on teams which successfully advanced compounds from discovery through clinical phases in partnership with “Big Pharma” collaborators. A significant part of his prior responsibilities included the protection of intellectual property by monitoring and evaluating competitor activity.
- Sherman Clarke Fellow, 1989-1993
- Phi Lambda Upsilon, National Chemical Honor Society, 1989
- American Chemical Society: Member of Medicinal Chemistry and Chemistry and the Law Divisions
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Drafted and/or prosecuted patent applications in technology areas including small molecule and peptide-based therapeutics, clinical diagnostics, immunotherapeutics, diagnostic imaging, catalysts for vehicle emission control, and novel semiconducting materials.
- Provided support for patent litigation matters in the form of document review and opinion drafting.
- Drafted opinions regarding infringement, invalidity and patentability for pharma and textile industry clients.
- Participated in and drafted documents for an inter partes review before the USPTO for a food service industry client.