Samantha specialises in litigation and dispute resolution, advising in breach of contract and tort claims across a wide range of industries.
She regularly brings and defends claims in the County Court, and also has experience in handling claims in the High Court. Samantha further has experience in advising on possible settlements, including mediations, and takes into account the commercial focus of clients meaning her advice adds real value to their business.
Samantha has particular experience in the financial services sector and retail sector.
Examples of experience include:
- Acting for a large insurance company in respect of claims and customer complaints relating to financial mis-selling and other financial services
- Successfully defending claims brought under the Consumer Credit Act against a large insurer client relating to PPI policies, both regarding the financial mis-selling of those policies and the undisclosed commission received by firms in respect of those PPI policies. Includes knowledge in relation to the 2014 Plevin ruling, the 2020 Potter decision, and FCA guidance. Further includes negotiating commercial settlements
- Successfully obtaining costs awards for clients in relation to claims brought under the Consumer Credit Act
- Acting for a large insurance company in relation to an intimated defamation claim against it
- Managing a stream of complex indemnity work for a large wealth management business relating to appointed representatives who have been paid upfront commission regarding the sale of various financial products
- Advising a large wealth management company on the recovery of sums due under a share purchase agreement, and managing a portfolio of cases relating to claims against appointed representatives who have contravened the terms of that agreement
- Acting for a manufacturing company in relation to termination of a contract with a customer
- Negotiating a successful settlement for a large wealth management company in respect of an intimated overpayment claim against it
- Defending claims for a large insurer relating to payments made under various insurance policies eg Personal Sick Pay policies
- Successfully defending a claim against a large insurer client relating to a refund of commission paid to an IFA as a result of the outcome of the Retail Distribution Review
- Advising on a complex services discrimination claim
- Acting for litigation funders pursuing directors for breach of their statutory duties
- Advising directors in respect of intimated claims against them for breach of their statutory duties
- Acting for a large insurance company and the insured in relation to the recovery of sums following a multi-million pound fraud
- Bringing and defending numerous claims for one of the "big six" energy suppliers in disputes covering all aspects of the industry
- Defending a large retail service provider in numerous claims from individuals.
"Samantha Bryant is very good at understanding the practicalities and has a very sensible approach."