A litigator focused on commercial litigation and creditors' rights, Richard is known for his versatility and ability to handle all aspects of problem loan representation, ranging from complex workouts and restructures to contested litigation and lender liability defense. He regularly represents clients in commercial collections actions, workouts, restructurings, receiverships, bankruptcies, foreclosures and other collateral recovery, and has litigated a variety of business disputes in state and federal court, including matters involving fraud, misrepresentation and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
Richard has built his practice on the belief that effective representation requires efficiency. In every matter, he navigates the most direct path to the desired result.
- Post-Judgment Execution/Enforcement, NC Bar Association, Post-Judgment Collections CLE, February 2017.
- Commercial Creditor’s Rights Case Law Update, NC Creditors Bar Association Winter Conference, February 2015 and 2016.
- Pre-Judgment Remedies, NC Bar Association, Collection and Enforcement of Judgments CLE, December 2014.
- Mechanic’s Liens and Payment Bond Claims for Practitioners, NC Bar Association, Construction Law Section Annual Meeting, September 2011.
Civic and Professional Activities
- North Carolina Creditors Bar Association, Council Member
- North Carolina Bar Association: Construction Law Section, Council Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Law School Liaison Committee
- North Carolina Museum of History Young Associates, Steering Committee Member
Honors and Awards
- Rising Star, North Carolina Super Lawyers
- North Carolina Bar Association Leadership Academy, 2012
- Represents banks and other financial institutions in commercial collections actions, foreclosures, workouts, restructurings, receiverships, bankruptcies and lender liability actions
- Counsels equipment leasing companies, commercial finance lenders and equipment vendors in litigation and enforcement of their lease and finance transactions
- Represents construction clients in claims disputes involving construction defects, delay, warranty claims, mechanic's/materialmen's liens, bond claims and the purchase, sale and warranty of goods; contract drafting and negotiations; and review and preparation of other legal documents in the construction process
- Represents property owners in lease disputes, including lease defaults and terminations, summary ejectment (eviction) proceedings and related collections actions
- Represents and advises community associations in connection with general covenant enforcement and collection of dues and assessments, including liens and foreclosures