Patrick has practised both in the UK and overseas in contentious and non-contentious intellectual property law for 30 years and is recognised by the Legal 500 and Chambers as an expert and leading individual. Actively engaged in the sector, he sits as a Council Member for the UK for the Licensing Executives Society International, the global technology transfer forum and is also a past chairman of the Parallel Imports Committee of the International Trademarks Association.
Following the Vote Leave result, he sits on a working group of the Intellectual Property Lawyers Association reviewing the impact on domestic law, if the UK were to cease to be a member state of the European Union.
He has observer status before the Asian Patent Attorneys Association and is an associate member of The Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys.
Patrick is also the author of the chapter on entitlement in the Community Design Handbook.
He has managed many high-profile, substantial IP disputes in the UK and overseas and has been involved in some of the largest spin outs from UK universities. He has also been instrumental in formulating from scratch IP strategies and worldwide anti infringement campaigns for some leading corporations.
Following outstanding client feedback Patrick was named as a star lawyer in the ‘Acritas Stars’ global database for 2018.
Patrick is based in London and Leeds.
Examples of experience include advising:
- As the lead external advisor working with Drax Power Limited, the major utility company, on the development and exploitation of a new design of railway wagon for the transport of biomass
- Cocoon Global a China based investment fund which has established a significant incubator site in London from which it is forming relationships with a number of UK universities
- Managing the successful High Court & Court of Appeal proceedings relating to the dispute Hotel Cipriani v Cipriani (Grosvenor Street)  EWCA Civ 110 which still stands as the largest damages award ever ordered by a UK court in a trade mark infringement action
- Success before the Court of Justice of the European Union representing Hotel Cipriani in an appeal brought by Arrigo Cipriani (Case T-343/14)
- As a solicitor/advocate for the patentee in Daletech Electronics v Jemella Limited  BL/0/501/4, a patent entitlement dispute before the UK Intellectual Property Office
- Successfully before the Court of Appeal in Hesco Bastion v Maccaferri  EWCA Civ 264¸ acting for the patentee of an innovative blast wall in validity and infringement proceedings
- Success before the High Court & Court of Appeal in City Technology v Alphasense  EWCA Civ 347 acting for the patentee of an innovative electrochemical gas sensor in validity and infringement proceedings
- Engaging in the successful trade sale of Bradford Particle Design (manufacturer in the field of supercritical fluid dynamics) from the University of Bradford (valued at >£100 million)
- Engaging in the successful flotation and then trade sale of City Technology Plc (manufacturer in the field of gas sensors) from the City University (valued at >£120 million)
- As the lead external advisor for Jemella Group in the establishment of the worldwide anti infringement campaign for the iconic ghd brand, the protocols for which campaign are often acknowledged to be “..best of class..”
- As the lead external advisor for Atlas Ward in its investment in a spin out from the University of Salford in relation to an innovative aerosol pressure valve.
"Always responsive and always spot on."
"He is always very efficient, solution-orientated and pragmatic."
'Patrick Cantrill is a very good litigator.'
'Patrick Cantrill knows his stuff inside and out. Exudes confidence and is capable of bringing the client along towards an outcome with ease. Feels like you are in very safe hands.'
"….Respected for his strength across patent, trade mark and copyright law. Interviewees remark on his ability to build a rapport with clients and his commercial manner…"