Mason is a trial lawyer who defends manufacturers, real estate developers, and contractors against claims resulting from construction design issues, defects, fires, workplace injuries or fatalities, and OSHA citations. He also works with clients “on the ground” in the aftermath of catastrophic events, including explosions, fires, injuries, and customer data loss. Mason frequently advises clients on workplace safety issues, including compliance with the latest CDC and OSHA guidance on COVID-19 issues.
Mason represents national manufacturers in product liability litigation across the country in the tobacco and natural gas industries, particularly those involving serious injury or wrongful death claims. He frequently prepares expert medical witnesses for deposition and trial.
Mason also has experience defending large insurance carriers in cases involving first-party bad faith claims, including claims related to property, liability, employee dishonesty, wrongful procurement, and claims handling issues.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Leadership Raleigh Class 36, 2017-2018
- Steering Committee Member, CAM/now, CAM Raleigh (Contemporary Art Museum)
- North Carolina Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Man of the Year Nominee, 2014
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Diversity and Young Lawyers Subcommittee, 2012-2013
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Regularly defends R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in numerous personal injury and wrongful death cases across the country, with a focus on developing complex medical and scientific defense strategies and expert witnesses preparation
- Represented an international food manufacturer in OSHA inspection following an employee fatality related to COVID-19 exposure
- Defended a contractor against multi-million dollar construction defect claims in a large multi-family project
- Defended a high-rise construction contractor against OSHA citations and civil claims resulting from numerous fatalities, resulting in settlement of OSHA citations and dismissal of all “willful” violations
- Advised a national bank on contractual, indemnification, and damages issues following a significant customer data loss
- Regularly defends a national insurer against a variety of tort, bad faith, and statutory claims
- Defended a general contractor based in the United Kingdom against numerous tort claims following an alleged carbon monoxide poisoning incident
- Advised an international engineering firm on various contractual and indemnification issues for an arbitration pending in Chile