Mason is a trial lawyer who focuses on complex litigation, representing global clients at the intersection of the real estate, insurance, construction, and manufacturing sectors. He regularly defends real estate developers and contractors against claims resulting from construction design issues, defects, fires, workplace injuries or fatalities, premises liability, and OSHA citations. He also works with clients “on the ground” in the aftermath of catastrophic events, including explosions, fires, injuries, and customer data loss.
Mason also has experience in state and federal courts defending large insurance carriers in cases involving first-party bad faith claims, including claims related to property, liability, directors’ and officers’, employee dishonesty, water exclusions, wrongful procurement, and claims handling.
Civic and Professional Activities
- Leadership Raleigh Class 36, 2017-2018
- Steering Committee Member, CAM/now, CAM Raleigh (Contemporary Art Museum)
- North Carolina Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Man of the Year Nominee, 2014
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Section of Litigation Diversity and Young Lawyers Subcommittee, 2012-2013
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Defended a construction contractor against construction defect claims in a large multi-family, mixed-use development
- Defended a high-rise construction subcontractor against OSHA citations and civil claims resulting from numerous fatalities, resulting in settlement of OSHA citations and dismissal of all “willful” violations
- Defended a national real estate developer against a variety of tort claims following a multi-family apartment building construction fire
- Advised a national bank on contractual, indemnification, and damages issues following a significant customer data loss
- Regularly defends a national insurer against a variety of tort, bad faith, and statutory claims
- Defended a general contractor based in the United Kingdom against numerous tort claims following an alleged carbon monoxide poisoning incident
- Regularly represents an international manufacturer in numerous individual wrongful death and personal injury actions in several jurisdictions, with a focus on preparing expert medical witnesses for deposition and trial
- Advised an international engineering firm on various contractual and indemnification issues for an arbitration in Chile applying North Carolina law
- Assisted one of the country’s largest furniture manufacturers on various OSHA issues, including facility inspections