As a result of her particular expertise in equal pay, Lorraine has handled many pay related high value complex Employment Tribunal claims, also achieving success for clients in the Employment Appeal Tribunal and the Court of Appeal. She regularly supports employers in their defence of, and resolution of, claims that involve numerous detailed allegations of discrimination in addition to claims of unfair dismissal, and breach of contract.
Lorraine provides pragmatic advice in the delivery of commercial cost effective solutions across the full range of employment law issues. This includes reorganisations, TUPE transfers, mergers and other transformations in corporate group structures, and changes to terms and conditions of employment. She draws on extensive experience when advising clients on the options for achieving a particular outcome in relation to a specific project, and in the effective management of employment-related risks.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A number of public and private sector clients in their defence of large multiple equal pay claims. Lorraine was involved in the development of a national strategy for responding to the claims presented against NHS Trusts and acted in a national test case, achieving a successful conclusion which ensured that the scope and value of the claims was limited, ultimately leading to the withdrawal of the vast majority of the claims
- On the gender pay gap reporting requirements and the gender pay implications of existing employment employments, reorganisations and workforce transformations
- Handling complex discrimination and whistleblowing claims, including advice on the handling of disciplinary processes in which grievances are raised, and in which data protection and human rights issues often arise
- In various situations in which organisational change has taken place in order to increase efficiency and reduce costs including advising on large scale redundancy programmes, the contractual position regarding variations in employment terms, and associated collective consultation processes
- In connection with the termination of employment of senior executives including advising on the wording of settlement agreements, and related tax and pension implications, and the obtaining of Treasury approval for public sector clients, where necessary.