Jocelyn has more than 30 years’ experience in the planning and regeneration sphere, including in relation to compulsory purchase and compensation. She has a particular profile in acting for local authorities on large scale regeneration development schemes, advising throughout from pre-application discussion through the application process, handling the drafting and negotiation of what are often complex/high value planning and infrastructure agreements associated with such schemes and also acting on land assembly through the use of CPO powers and advising on compensation issues.
Jocelyn’s extensive experience includes advising on the planning, CPO and highways aspects of local authority development/joint venture agreements and cognate matters, for example, appropriation to/acquisition for planning purposes and the engagement of Section 237 of the Town and Country Planning Act to override third party rights.
Jocelyn is ranked Band 2 in Chambers Directory (Planning – Yorkshire). She was also selected as one of The Lawyer Magazine’s Hot 100 2006.
Examples of experience include advising:
- London Borough of Newham on the Stratford City scheme which includes the Westfield Stratford Shopping Centre, c.6,000 new homes and a 22 acre ‘International Quarter’ with 4 million square feet of office accommodation and other uses. Jocelyn acted for the Council from submission of the original application in 2003 through to 2014, advising on the planning/Section 73 applications in respect of the scheme and acting on the drafting and negotiation of a series of complex/high value Section 106 Agreements
- London Borough of Lewisham on the re-development of Convoy’s Wharf, a strategic site within the Council’s Core Strategy and subject to current proposals for mixed use development, with c. 3,500 new homes. The application was called in by the Mayor of London who resolved to approve the application, subject to completion of a Section 106 Agreement addressing wide ranging requirements
- Oxford City Council in connection with the Westgate Shopping Centre re-development advising on the planning, highways and CPO aspects of the development agreement for the scheme, including negotiation of a CPO Indemnity Agreement, and advising on acquisition/appropriation for planning purposes and the overriding of third party rights pursuant to Section 237 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets on the Wood Wharf scheme for delivery of a new mixed use district expected to provide c. 3,100 new homes with offices, retail, hotel, community and leisure uses, adjacent to Canary Wharf. Jocelyn advised throughout the application process and also handled the negotiation of the related complex and high value S106 Agreement
- London Borough of Lewisham on the comprehensive mixed use re-development of the Surrey Canal Triangle site which includes delivery of c. 2,400 new homes and extensive sports provision. Jocelyn is advising on a prospective CPO to facilitate delivery of the scheme and on a Section 73 application to amalgamate the sports provision in one facility – London’s largest indoor sports centre since the National Sports Centre was built at Crystal Palace in 1964.