James is an associate in our commercial technology team, having trained and qualified with the firm. His focus is on technology and data-related matters. He has also obtained industry experience through a number of client secondments with large corporate organisations.
James has experience advising on a broad range of IT and technology projects, involving contracts relating to outsourcing, IT infrastructure design and migration, SAAS, software licensing, website and application development, and support and maintenance. He also has experience advising on data protection and privacy issues including privacy notices, controller to processor provisions, cross-border data transfers, data security issues and data subject rights requests.
James is a member of the Society for Computers and Law.
Examples of experience include advising:
- A Big Six energy supplier in relation to its outsourcing arrangements, its industrial and commercial energy contracts, and the procurement of a business critical software solution
- A national retailer on the negotiation of its key supplier contracts relating to IT and technology, logistics and marketing
- A major UK holiday park operator on its commercial contracts, including contracts relating to mobile application development, on-park Wi-Fi, data storage, facilities management, direct marketing campaigns and in relation to its contracting arrangements in response to the COVID-19 pandemic
- A UK train operating company in relation to the standardisation of its enterprise resource planning system
- A trade association in relation to its grant funding and collaboration arrangements for a research and development project for the development and testing of 5G technology
- An international marine insurance company with the development and implementation of its Brexit strategy.