Gavin is a partner in the dispute resolution team and head of Bond Dickinson's nationally recognised retail and consumer sector team. He has over 30 years of experience as a retail and consumer lawyer which ensures that he has a full understanding of the needs of businesses interfacing with consumers, and he is client relationship partner for several national and international retailers.
Gavin is recognised as a leading individual in the field of litigation and provides specialist sector advice in relation to large and complex commercial disputes and corporate defence work. He also has a deep knowledge of regulatory issues relating to consumers and in particular advertising and marketing regulation giving advice on issues such as pricing, sales promotions, sponsorship credits and competitor complaints about misleading and defamatory material. Gavin actively participates in industry bodies such as the British Retail Consortium (BRC) and the Interactive Media in Retail Group (the leading trade body for ecommerce).
Examples of experience include advising:
- Sainsbury's in its application for a judicial review of the decision of the ASA/Independent Reviewer of Advertising Standards Adjudications in relation to Tesco's Price Promise advertising campaign
- Dispute Resolution relationship partner for a national organisation facing over 150 claims that its point of sale and accounting IT system suffered from defects that led to dozens of individuals being allegedly wrongly convicted of theft and false accounting
- Protecting the brand of numerous national retailers in relation to action by consumer advice bodies, Watchdog, Which? and Consumer Focus
- A national supermarket to recover multimillion pounds from a fraudulent Jamaican distributor including injunctive proceedings in Jamaica and an action in negligence against the client's business process outsourcing provider
- An international DIY retailer against a supplier claim for £20 million including opposing an interim injunction and an associated competition law claim.
"Never fails to deliver."
"They have expert knowledge of the retail sector. They thoroughly understand the issues faced by retailers."
"A very experienced and knowledgeable team who always provide practical, commercial advice often on tight timescales."
"Gavin Matthews is both easy to make contact and communicate with."
"Both the litigation and trade mark teams are really good."
"Down to earth, practical, client-focused and supportive."
"They are responsive, hard working and know their sector. We find them much more commercial than their competitors."