David specialises in professional risks. He has particular experience in advising insurers and insureds on claims against solicitors, brokers, insolvency practitioners and financial and construction professionals.
David also advises insurers on coverage issues arising from professional liability, D&O and general commercial policies.
Examples of experience include:
- Muduroglu v Stephenson Harwood (A Firm) & Anor  EWHC 29 (Ch): a successful application for strike out and summary judgment of an £11m professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors, in relation to a complex series of share sales and allegations of dishonest assistance and breach of trust. This included a successful application under CPR 17.2 to disallow amendments to the Claim Form made between issue and service, based on limitation
- Guney v Kingsley Napley  EWHC 2349 (QB): a successful application to strike out a substantial part of a multi-million pound professional negligence claim against a firm of solicitors in relation to advice on a wills dispute, where the claimant was ordered to pay costs on the indemnity basis
- The Connaught Income Fund (Series 1) (in liquidation) v Hewetts Solicitors  EWHC 2286 (Ch): successfully defending at trial a £1.4m claim by an investment fund (which in turn loaned funds to a financial institution for onward lending to the ultimate borrower) in relation to the certificate of title provided in respect of a loan secured on a development
- Agouman v Leigh Day (a firm)  EWHC 1324 (QB): assisted on the defence of a multi-million pound professional negligence claim and appeal against a firm of solicitors. This was a representative claim on behalf of some 4,000 individuals in relation to the conduct of litigation on behalf of 30,000 Ivorians for personal injury from the dumping of toxic waste, and the solicitors' duty of care in respect of the subsequent theft of settlement monies
- Goldswain and another v Beltec Limited  All ER (D) 101: acting for a structural engineer and its insurers in the successful defence at trial of a claim relating to a collapsed residential property
- Defending a large number of "Cannibalism" claims brought against solicitors for alleged under-settlement of personal injury and VWF claims, generally under Damages Based Agreements
- Advising insurers on UK disclosure issues in relation to a €200m coverage litigation in Texas
- Acting in the defence of a multi-million pound negligence and fraud claim against a firm of liquidated surveyors, successfully resolved at mediation
- Advising insurers on coverage issues arising from a claim for misuse of confidential information issued in Scotland, against a provider of wireless technologies
- Acting in the defence of a range of insured claims made against IFAs, alleging negligence in the scope of advice given on the risks of individuals investments and their suitability for the claimants.