Cy has more than 30 years of experience representing individuals and businesses in corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions. Corporate boards and directors also rely on Cy to provide counsel on fiduciary duty matters and shareholder/partner disputes. His long-term clients are family-owned and privately-owned companies in a variety of industries, including real estate development, hotel and restaurant development and management, and professional services including architecture, dentistry, engineering, medical spas, medicine, and pharmacy.
He also counsels entrepreneurial clients in corporate formation, angel financing, private Regulation D offerings, including general solicitation offerings. His representative entrepreneurial companies have included a producer of moissanite jewelry, a private educational institution, internet companies and a telemedicine provider.
Cy served on the drafting committee for the original North Carolina Limited Liability Company Act, which was adopted in 1993, as well as on the drafting committee, which revised the North Carolina Limited Liability Company Act (effective January 1, 2014). He assists clients in the formation of LLCs on joint ventures and in structuring business divorces among LLC members.
- North Carolina Limited Liability Company Forms and Practice Manual (Data Trace Publishing Company, Third Ed. 2004)
- Numerous articles on business uses of LLCs
Civic and Professional Activities
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section; Taxation Section
- American Bar Association, Committee on Small Business; Subcommittee on Closely Held Business Entities; Subcommittee on Securities Regulation.
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association past Board Member
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association delegate to the House of Delegates
- Charlotte Ballet (formerly the North Carolina Dance Theatre) Board of Directors
- Charlotte Zoning Board of Adjustment,
- Charlotte Opera Board of Director,
- Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte Board of Directors
- University Radio Foundation, Inc. (“WFAE” Charlotte’s NPR affiliate) Board of Directors
- McColl Center for Art and Innovation Board
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships), Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions, 2007 - Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2006 - 2017
- AV rating, Martindale Hubbell
- North Carolina Legal Elite
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Structuring start-up businesses in industries including restaurant, hotel, manufacturing, real estate development, distribution services and professional services (architectural, engineering and legal).
- Drafting private offering documents for real estate projects and funds, manufacturing companies, and restaurants and hotels.
- A partnership dispute and division of the assets.
- Representation of acquirer of a foreign division of a US public company.
- Representation of a foreign manufacturer in creating a US distribution company.