Chris Jones is a partner in the Raleigh office of Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP and leads the Business Litigation Practice Group. His nationwide practice is focused on complex civil and regulatory litigation, including bet-the-company administrative and regulatory litigation, high-exposure financial services and commercial disputes, and a variety of finance, technology, and corporate governance disputes. He has served as lead counsel on behalf of businesses ranging in size from a few employees to some of the world’s largest companies, and is one of the few regulatory litigators in the country to be involved in investigations and litigation initiated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
In North Carolina and across the country, Chris has been lead counsel in jury and bench trials, arbitration proceedings, and has argued appeals before both the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court. He is frequently adverse to the North Carolina Attorney General, has tried multiple cases against North Carolina governmental agencies and regularly represents clients before administrative boards.
While most in his element in a courtroom, Chris’ client-first, practical and business-minded approach to resolving disputes is appreciated by executives and in-house legal teams alike.
Presentations and Publications
- It’s a Small World: Opportunities and Pitfalls in Complex Federal Litigation Against International Opponents, The Litigator, Vol. 27, No. 4, June 2007
- Panelist, 2013 Legislative Reform Round-Up: Challenges Facing The Courts 2013, NCBA CLE, November 22, 2013
- Dodd-Frank Act-Where Are We Now?: Presented to Association of Corporate Counsel, Research Triangle Area Chapter, January 2011, North Carolina
- Litigation for Non-Litigators and Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods: Presented to Association of Corporate Counsel, Research Triangle Chapter, November, 2010, North Carolina
- Attorney-Client Privilege for County Attorneys: Presented at North Carolina Association of County Attorneys Annual Conference, February 2008, North Carolina
- Federal Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- North Carolina Bar Association
- West Virginia Bar Association
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Commercial Litigation, 2015 – Present
- Selected to the North Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers, 2009
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead counsel for publicly traded consumer finance company in connection with the largest administrative contested case to be tried before the North Carolina Commissioner of Banks and Banking Commission
- Represented publicly traded technology company in a $200 million federal court dispute involving mobile communication technology
- Lead counsel for Fortune 100 National Banks and publicly traded finance companies in consumer finance litigation matters in State and Federal courts in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia
- National lead counsel for a non-traditional lender, coordinating cases against the CFPB and State Attorneys General across 28 states and two Federal Circuit Courts