Tom is a Partner, leading the London Restructuring Team of Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP, advising parties at various stages of the distress curve on a wide range of insolvency and finance issues. Tom has recently spent eight months on secondment at Santander UK, advising in relation to all aspects of lending and security.
Tom specialises in all aspects of corporate restructuring, regularly advising banks, turnaround professionals, insolvency practitioners, underperforming businesses, directors, distressed lenders and other stakeholders on strategic and legal issues in order to achieve solvent and insolvent restructurings. Tom also regularly advises lenders on the validity and enforceability of their security and facilities, and the necessary registrations at the Land Registry and Companies House, and on the rectification of any deficiencies in those documents.
He acts for lenders, directors, corporates and insolvency practitioners in relation to insolvency appointments, restructuring outside of formal insolvency, business and asset sales, the duties and conduct of directors, and insolvency litigation.
Tom’s work has taken in a wide range of sectors, with recent experience including work relating to care home operators, food and drink manufacturers, law firms, retailers, construction firms, property investment groups, retailers and education providers as well as advisory work in the oil and gas industry and work in relation to shipping and aviation portfolios.
Tom is a full member of the Insolvency Lawyers association and of R3, The Association of Business Recovery Professionals.
Examples of relevant experience include:
- Spending eight months on secondment as the in-house lawyer for the Santander UK plc restructuring team. This involved advising in relation to a wide range of lending and security issues, and the drafting and negotiation of new facilities and amendments to term loans, revolving credit facilities, overdrafts, corporate and personal guarantees, refinances, deeds of priority and intercreditor agreements and security documents and releases
- Advising a major clearing bank in relation to the restructure of a property investment group, including restructuring facilities and protecting/improving the Bank’s security position, negotiating multi-party inter-creditor agreements, refinancing certain assets, documenting the funding of the construction of further assets and the consensual disposal of parts of the portfolio
- Advising a fund, alongside our financial services team, in relation to proposed lending to consumers for the acquisition of motor vehicles
- Providing long term advice to a major clearing bank in relation to the restructure and refinancing of a borrower group with a mixed leisure, care and property investment portfolio
- Advising a major clearing bank and big four administrators in relation to the administration of a national chain of care homes, trading the homes in administration and the sales of the homes via asset sale agreements to various parties
- Advising big four administrators in relation to the administration, trading and ‘break up’ asset and business sales of a retail chain
- Advising big four administrators in relation to the administration and pre-pack sale of a national adult education provider, resulting in the secured lender being repaid in full.