Tom is a Partner, leading the London Restructuring Team of Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP, advising parties at various stages distress on a wide range of insolvency and finance issues. Tom has spent time on secondment at Santander UK, advising in relation to all aspects of lending and security.
Tom specialises in all aspects of corporate restructuring, regularly advising banks, turnaround professionals, insolvency practitioners, underperforming businesses, directors, distressed lenders and other stakeholders on strategic and legal issues in order to achieve solvent and insolvent restructurings. Tom also regularly advises lenders on the validity, enforceability and restructuring of their security and facilities.
He acts for lenders, directors, corporates and insolvency practitioners in relation to insolvency appointments, restructuring outside of formal insolvency, business and asset sales, the duties and conduct of directors, and insolvency litigation.
Tom’s work has taken in a wide range of sectors, with recent experience including work relating to consumer energy suppliers and the wider energy sector, care home operators, manufacturers, law firms, retailers, construction firms, the automotive sector, property investment groups, and education providers.
Tom is a full member of the Insolvency Lawyers association and of R3, The Association of Business Recovery Professionals.
Examples of relevant experience include:
- Spending eight months on secondment as the in-house lawyer for the Santander UK plc restructuring team. This involved advising in relation to a wide range of lending and security issues, and the drafting and negotiation of new facilities and amendments to term loans, revolving credit facilities, overdrafts, corporate and personal guarantees, refinances, deeds of priority and intercreditor agreements and security documents and releases
- Advisinga major clearing bank in relation to the restructure of a property investment group, including restructuring facilities and protecting/improving the Bank’s security position, negotiating multi-party inter-creditor agreements, refinancing certain assets, documenting the funding of the construction of further assets and the consensual disposal of parts of the portfolio
- Providing long term advice to a major clearing bank in relation to the restructure and refinancing of a borrower group with a mixed leisure, care and property investment portfolio.
Consumer Energy Suppliers
- Advising the boards of numerous consumer energy suppliers in relation to their financial difficulties, refinancing, duties, options and sales
- Advising the board of a consumer energy supplier in relation to its impending administration, and the supplier of last resort process
- Advising administrators of consumer energy suppliers
- Acting for a consumer energy supplier in relation to its acquisition of the customer base of an insolvent competitor via the 'supplier of last resort' process.
Care Sector - Advising numerous banks and insolvency practitioners in relation to:
- the restructuring of care home groups
- the refinancing of care home groups
- the administrations of various care home businesses, trading the homes in administration and the sales of the homes by administrators and liquidators.
Retail and Leisure – Advising:
- administrators in relation to the administration, trading and ‘break up’ asset and business sales of a retail chain
- suppliers, concession operators, creditors and landlords in the insolvencies of various high street retailers
- various retailers in relation to financial difficulties and creditor pressure
- administrators on the sale of the business and assets of the Ceviche and Andina restaurant group (Link here)
- the purchaser from administration of a national chain of kitchenware and cookware stores. (Link Here)
- the board of the world's oldest travel agency in relation to its financial difficulties and subsequently advising administrators from KPMG on the sale of its business and assets as a going concern. (Link here).
Education – Advising:
- the Education Administrators in the first two Education Administrations pursuant to the Special Administration Regime for further education providers
- the board of an international school group in relation to its restructuring options under English law
- administrators in relation to the administration and pre-pack sale of a national adult education provider.
Manufacturing and Automotive:
- Advising the board of a manufacturer of consumer goods in relation to their duties and restructuring options for a four month period leading up to the manufacturer's insolvency
- Advice to the board of a major manufacturer as it refinanced while managing creditors during the pandemic
- Advising manufacturers in the automotive supply chain on their own financial difficulties and the difficulties experienced by suppliers.
Financial and Legal Services
- Advising the Special Administrators of a pension scheme administrator pursuant to the Special Administration Regime for Investment Firms
- Advising a financial institution on the acquisition of the business of a financial advisory firm from administrators
- Advising the administrators of an FCA-regulated insurance broker
- Acting for administrators in the pre-pack sale of a law firm, and acting for secured creditors in other law firm administrations
- Providing expert evidence on English insolvency law for a product liability trial in North Carolina