Clients know that Todd is a dedicated and loyal advocate when they are confronted with difficult legal challenges. He has walked through the fire with businesses that found themselves in litigation or interfacing with regulators. He has walked through the fire with senior elected officials who found themselves addressing grave legal or political situations. Todd relishes the opportunity to help clients solve their problems and to exceed their expectations.
Todd’s practice is varied by design. He has served as Special Counsel to the Office of Governor under South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley. He has handled numerous appeals before the Fourth Circuit, the South Carolina Supreme Court, and the South Carolina Court of Appeals. He has advised corporate clients across a range of industries through hotly contested disputes, including a national practice representing custodians of self-directed IRAs in all manner of litigation and administrative disputes. This variety enables Todd to offer clients a unique perspective and creativity when it comes to crafting solutions and executing on a strategy.
Presentations and Publications
- Regular panelist and presenter at Retirement Industry Trust Association seminars and conferences (2017 to present)
- Panelist, Post-Election Synopsis-Current State of Election Law, at the Federal Courts Law Review Annual Symposium (Charleston, SC 2013)
- A Survey of the Fourth Circuit's Developing Government-Speech Jurisprudence, 61 S.C. L. Rev. 549 (2010) (co-authored with Kevin A. Hall)
- Note: No Penalty on the Play: Why the Bowl Championship Series Stays In-Bounds of the Sherman Act, 61 Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 1235 (2004)
- Actively involved at Shandon Baptist Church in Columbia, South Carolina. He has served as a chairman of several of the church’s committees, and is actively involved in leadership roles in Sunday School.
- Prisma Health Children’s Hospital Board Member, 2020
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Commercial Litigation, 2018 – Present
- Recognized in Columbia Business Monthly’s Legal Elite, Business Litigation, 2021
- Selected to the South Carolina Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Business Litigation, Appellate, Administrative Law, 2016 – 2020
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Successfully represented custodians of self-directed IRAs in litigation, arbitration, and regulatory matters in numerous jurisdictions across the United States.
- Successfully represented South Carolina Senate in defense of COVID-based attacks on the constitutionality of South Carolina’s election laws; won emergency stay in United States Supreme Court to preserve South Carolina’s witness requirement for absentee ballots.
- Successfully represented senior elected officials in multiple cases before the South Carolina Supreme Court and legislative committees arising under the South Carolina State Ethics Code.
- Successfully represented a variety of financial-services providers in litigated matters before state and federal trial courts, as well as several matters before the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
- Successfully represented a state political party before the South Carolina Supreme Court in a case involving the State’s Presidential Primary.
- Successfully represented a software distributor in a contract and business-tort dispute that involved a multi-week trial in federal court.
- Successfully represented media in litigation before the South Carolina Supreme Court and Fourth Circuit involving the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act.