During Stan’s more than 35 years of practice, he has served as a trusted adviser to real estate developers, owners, and investors in all aspects of their real estate ventures, including acquisition, development, sales, financing, entity and joint venture structuring, and tax planning. Stan’s clients look to him as a savvy adviser who is able to facilitate and implement his clients’ business goals and provide practical advice on all aspects of transaction structuring, from feasibility analysis, due diligence, development, financing, and eventual sale of a project.
When market cycles are unfavorable, Stan counsels his clients on exit strategies from distressed projects, such as restructuring and workouts. Stan’s lender clients turn to him for loan enforcement and credit recovery, including foreclosure, conveyances in lieu of foreclosure, or foreclosure under mezzanine financing, and advice on repositioning and disposition of foreclosed properties.
Stan has developed numerous longstanding client relationships that have remained with Stan for much, or all, of his career in the practice of law. The leadership teams of those clients, including subsequent generations of controlling families, continually seek Stan’s guidance on their real estate and business portfolios.
- American Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association Real Estate Section Committee on Legal Opinions
- Member, American Bar Association Real Estate Section Committee on Limited Liability Companies
- Participant in the District of Columbia Bar Association project on legal opinions in commercial real estate transactions
- Member, editorial staff of Manual for Complex Litigation, 1976-1979
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Real Estate Law, 2015 - Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a national real estate company in formation of a multifamily REIT, serving as real estate and financing counsel for the portfolio of properties that formed the initial REIT assets, and served as counsel in subsequent REIT acquisitions and financings of properties.
- Represented owner developer throughout the project structuring and development process for a mixed use project in suburban Washington, DC, including drafting of Declaration of Covenants and land owners association documents for the project, development and site construction matters for project infrastructure, negotiations with utility service providers, financing of the development, sales of land parcels for building development, and financing of the project.
- Representation of national corporation as tenant counsel in leasing matters for its headquarters site and its portfolio of regional offices, including lease negotiations, renewals and extensions, and representation of entity in sale of its former headquarters building.Representation of national real estate owners in master credit facility transactions for financing a portfolio of properties, including structuring of single purpose entities to satisfy lender separateness covenants. Represent non-profit insurance company as general counsel in corporate matters, regulatory issues, and real estate lending for commercial properties.
- Represent real estate owners and developers as counsel for their portfolios of properties, including acquisition, development, leasing, sales, financing, joint ventures, and entity structuring, including representation of multiple clients in all phases of a real estate venture from structuring, acquisition, development, financing, leasing, and then sale of the project.
- Represent national builders in land acquisition and site development activities, and lot sales.
- Representation of national real estate owners in master credit facility transactions for financing a portfolio of properties, including structuring of single purpose entities to satisfy lender separateness covenants.
- Represent non-profit insurance company as general counsel in corporate matters, regulatory issues, and real estate lending for commercial properties.