Sarah is a Managing Associate in the Construction and Engineering team, specialising in non-contentious/transactional construction matters and remedial works agreements. Sarah has experience in major infrastructure, manufacturing and energy projects, including energy from waste, solar, carbon capture and biomass plant projects. She also has experience in commercial, residential and private developments.
Sarah also regularly advises institutional lenders, challenger banks, property finance providers and investors as well as borrowers in relation to real estate finance transactions (including development finance and investment finance). She works alongside the banking and real estate teams to provide construction due diligence and advice in respect of lender security.
Sarah has a broad range of experience acting for a wide variety of clients including commercial developers, local and central government, national house builders, residential developers/social housing providers, contractors, lenders, borrowers and investors.
Sarah drafts, negotiates and advises on a wide range of construction documents including building contracts, EPC/EPCM contracts, consultant appointments, collateral warranties and security documents. She has experience dealing with bespoke and standard form construction contracts including JCT, NEC, IChemE, FIDIC and MF1.
Sarah is named as an Associate to Watch in Chambers and Partners 2023 and 2024.
Examples of experience include:
- Advising Envision AESC a world-leading Japanese electric vehicle battery technology company, on the construction of a new 12GWh gigafactory for the production of electric vehicle batteries as part of a £1bn project
- Advising manufacturers including multinational chemical and pharmaceutical businesses on capital projects to the value of hundreds of millions for new manufacturing plant, lab facilities, and plant conversions
- Advising utilities providers in relation to major infrastructure projects including a the design and construction of a new water main valued in the region of £65m
- Advising public sector clients in relation to a range of major infrastructure projects in the North East of England
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing EPC/EPCM and O&M contracts and associated ancillary documents for a range of energy projects, including energy from waste, solar, carbon capture and biomass plant projects. This includes supporting clients in the streamlined delivery of projects in the UK and overseas
- Acting for institutional lenders, challenger banks, property finance providers and investors in relation to construction due diligence on a range of projects including a £400m multi-use scheme in Cornwall, the development of a new TV and film studio in Wales and a £20m production facility in the North of England
- Advising various national housebuilders and registered providers in relation to a range of significant residential developments (including build to rent, built for sale and social housing). This involves experience of both traditional building methods as well as off-site / modular construction. Advice relates to the main construction as well as associated infrastructure such as roads and utilities
- Advising employers and contractors in relation to remedial works solutions and agreements for the works relating to a range of defects including cladding and fire safety matters
- Acting for local authorities on day to day construction matters and large capital projects such as City of York Council on their Community Stadium and Leisure Services Project (value £37 million) and Consultant Frameworks, Three Rivers District Council on their leisure DBOM Project and Portsmouth Council on a120,000 sq ft manufacturing facility
- Advising developers including Marick Capital and Town Centres Securities in relation to a range of commercial developments including hotels, offices and retail, leisure and hospitality units
- Advising a number of well-known retail clients in relation to the construction aspects of agreements for lease, contracts for store development and fit out, conveyor systems framework contracts and generally supporting their in house legal teams.
"Sarah Wales is a knowledgeable lawyer. She is eloquent in explaining things."
"I have been consistently impressed with her level of knowledge and diligence"
"Sarah Wales has been very diligent about meeting the client's requirements and giving us the best guidance"