Ryan is an Associate in the Construction team who focuses on transactional work for clients involved in projects in both the public and private sectors. Ryan has experience in acting on high-value and complex matters involving a mix of JCT, NEC and bespoke forms of contract including ancillary documents such as consultant appointments, collateral warranties, and other forms of security such as vesting certificates, bonds, and guarantees. He has also been involved in construction due diligence exercises for financial institutions and other parties providing funding for a construction project, as well as for purchasers of significant real estate developments.
During his training contract with the firm, Ryan also gained experience in the transport and insurance sectors, including a six-month secondment to the London offices of AIG. He is also a member of the Modern Methods of Construction and building safety sub-sectors within WBD, and has written several articles about the continued fallout of the Grenfell Tower Fire.
Examples of experience include advising:
- The Department for Education on the management of the contractual framework process for various projects related to the construction / refurbishment of schools under the Priority Schools Building Programme (Capital Works), the National Contractor Frameworks, Regional Framework, Modular Framework, Free Schools Programme, and School Rebuilding Programme
- Newcastle City Council with contractual documentation for the enabling works required in advance of the development of the flagship Science City / Helix development
- Stadler Rail Service UK Limited on their successful bid for the £400 million Nexus Tyne and Wear Metro replacement stock and new depot project
- Grainger plc on numerous PRS and Build to Rent residential property schemes across the UK
- Sewell Group on education projects procured through the Hull Esteem LEP, allowing Ryan to advise on construction negotiations from both the perspective of the Contractor and the Employer
- Guildford Borough Council on the construction of the new cycling and pedestrian Walnut Bridge
- Prosper Procurement on advice relating to the set-up and management of new procurement frameworks
- Multiple developers who are in the process of instructing the design and construction of new / renovated retail, residential, and commercial properties
- Various funders in reviewing construction documentation as a part of due diligence exercises being carried out on commercial and residential developments.