Mike is a partner and seasoned trial lawyer who regularly handles business, banking and real estate disputes in state and federal courts throughout North Carolina and the United States. Mike uses a common sense approach, backed by sound legal analysis, to help his clients navigate challenging disputes by crafting legal solutions that also make good business sense.
Mike has litigated a wide array of cases, ranging from business and partnership lawsuits to condemnation, bank litigation, First Amendment disputes and insurance defense. He is a go-to attorney for real estate litigation involving commercial disputes over leases, management of properties and lending relationships. He is experienced in defending cases involving claims for unfair trade practice, fraud, statutory remedies, breach of contract and interference with contractual relationships. He regularly represents creditors in workout disputes and in complex business litigation involving Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). In the financial services sector, he has represented retail banks, S&Ls, credit unions, internet banks, brokerage firms, insurance companies, investment banks and private lenders at the local and national level.
Many of his cases have called for intensive review and analysis of thousands of documents. In such cases, Mike works to identify and simplify core issues for the client, and ultimately, the fact finder, in a cost-efficient manner that best utilizes state-of-the-art technology. He was instrumental in developing and training others in the use of a system that merged technology tools with process techniques at Womble Bond Dickinson that assists clients in the management of mass tort litigation.
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- Advisory Member of North Carolina State Bar Grievance Committee, 2004 and 2005
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Real Estate, 2016 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented banks, credit unions, and commercial loan servicers in commercial loan workouts and lender liability lawsuits.
- Real estate litigation counsel for publicly traded national retailer in lease disputes and other lawsuits throughout United States.
- Represented manufacturers, distributors and suppliers in supply chain contract disputes in lawsuits and arbitration.
- Represented landowners, lienholders, private and public condemners in condemnation lawsuits.
- Defended litigation for clients in the following industries: banking, insurance, aviation, healthcare, private equity, food services, real estate development, commercial and retail financing, furniture, retail, medical laboratory, chemical manufacturing, software, wireless communications, heavy machinery, among others.