Matt is a banking partner with a specific focus on financial institutions and a previous background as a banker specialising in portfolio management and loan trading. Matt has significant experience in loan portfolio sales/acquisitions having led some of Europe's largest NPL/NPE transactions. He also specialises in secondary loan and claims trading, distressed debt and special situations, forward flow arrangements and other capital efficient, loan distribution transactions.
Matt is a regular speaker and panellist at the SmithNovak European NPL conference.
Examples of experience include advising (all prior to joining Womble Bond Dickinson):
- Acted for Bank of Cyprus - on its disposal of a €2.7b non-performing loan portfolio to Apollo affiliated entities
- Acted for Lloyds Banking Group - on over £50bn (in aggregate) of loan portfolio sales across a range of asset classes (real estate, CRE, corporate lending, shipping, infrastructure), both as legal advisor and as commercial principal
- A UK bank - on the disposal of its £3bn shipping loan portfolio
- A US debt fund on the potential acquisition of a £1bn Greek loan portfolio
- Various investment banks – in respect of loan trading and single asset loan transfers in both the par and distressed markets
- A peer to peer lender - on the set up and subsequent investments in its European and UK forward flow fund.