Jon Fligg defends companies against high-stakes product liability claims. He works closely with clients in all phases of litigation from the initial planning of the defense of the case through discovery, trial and necessary appeals. For more than 20 years, Jon has represented clients in multiple industries and primarily represents tobacco manufacturers in product liability cases across the country. He has been on more than a dozen trial teams, including at counsel’s table, and has worked with numerous experts of different specialties supporting dozens of other trial teams.
Jon is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyers’ honorary society composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers. He is also a NITA Advocate (National Institute for Trial Advocacy).
Jon also devotes time to pro bono representation. He has served on the board of directors for Atlanta Legal Aid Society and the board of directors for Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. He has been an active participant in the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyer Foundation’s Saturday Lawyer Program for almost two decades, taking pro bono cases. Jon also has been involved with new attorney hiring since joining the firm.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Served on trial teams in Florida, obtaining defense verdicts in individual smoker cases, John Szymanski v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, et al. and LaMotte v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, et al.
- Trial team obtaining defense verdicts in a landmark health care cost-recovery case, City of St. Louis, et al. v. American Tobacco Co., et al., brought by nearly 40 Missouri hospitals or hospital systems seeking more than $455 million in costs and punitive damages. Case was tried over a period of four months after a decade of discovery.
- Served on trial team for a nearly two-month state court individual smoker trial outside of Kansas City, Missouri that resulted in a defense verdict. VanDenburg v. Brown & Williamson Tobacco Corp., et al.
- Served on trial team for a two-month federal trial in New York that resulted in a mistrial and subsequent dismissal by the plaintiff in an action for third-party reimbursement. Falise v. The American Tobacco Co., et al.
- Works with and prepares medical experts for depositions and trials including psychiatrists, psychologists, pulmonologists, cardiologists, medical examiners, oncologists, pathologists, radiologists and neurologists.
- Helped coordinate the defense strategy in Maryland for more than a decade, affecting more than 700 synergy cases that included numerous appeals in multiple cases to both Maryland appellate courts.
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Product Liability Litigation – Defendants, 2021
- Selected to the Georgia Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers (Thomson Reuters) in Personal Injury – Products, Civil Litigation, 2006, 2009 – 2011