Joanne is a partner specialising in providing practical strategic advice and dealing with complex employment tribunal litigation including unfair dismissal, sex, race and disability discrimination on behalf of large multisite clients. She also has a range of commercial experience, including transactional, strategic and day-to-day human resources support and has developed a niche for delivering training programmes in an innovative way.
Joanne is regularly called upon to provide strategic advice on how best to deal with complex HR situations, providing practical support via her team including scripts, draft reports, practical options – all being solution focussed, taking into account her extensive advocacy experience.
She advises on a wide range of both contentious and non-contentious matters including advising employers on issues such as complex organisational restructures, enforcement of restrictive covenants in the High Court, corporate support for all aspects of acquisitions and disposals including the effect of TUPE and regularly provides practical advice on redundancy programmes – always taking into account commercial considerations.
Joanne is regularly called upon by a number of clients considering change management programmes including business reorganisations and bringing about cultural change. Joanne has delivered a number of cultural change programmes to operational managers to assist companies in building a more sustainable workforce, getting the best out of their talent.
Joanne has also led on a number of equality and diversity initiatives with a number of national clients. She is a firm believer in providing a “seamless service” to clients.
- Providing a bespoke "21st century manager training programme" to a number of companies seeking to achieve a cultural shift requiring line managers to pick up on people management issues leaving the HR team to play a more strategic role with a view to creating a more sustainable business. This has been delivered to front line managers within a Housing Association and a number of organisations within the Health and Retail sector. It involves the innovative delivery of four modules being delivered to front line managers to prompt early resolution of issues, develop influencing skills and to provide managers with the practical tools to effectively deal with disciplinary and grievance issues, with a view to increasing engagement of employees and reducing inconsistent management behaviour
- Successfully defending a high profile brand sensitive sex and race discrimination claim (28 day trial)
- Providing practical advice over a period of time in relation to a "high risk" employee following a lengthy period of suspension and sick leave, the outcome being a successful resolution for all concerned without recourse to tribunal proceedings
- Drafting Contracts of Employment for a US software company, ensuring that its business interests were protected through appropriate restrictive covenants
- Successfully enforcing restrictive covenants in the High Court to protect business interests – resulting in the reimbursement of legal fees from the losing side.
“meticulous attention to detail”
“tremendously approachable and straight forward”
“provides practical solutions to questions and responds quickly to any query”