Jo advises on all aspects of Employment law including discrimination, whistle-blowing, TUPE, redundancy, parental rights, corporate transactions and employee terminations. She oversees legal matters for clients from first instruction onwards, managing costs, client relationships, junior solicitors, litigation and commercial strategy.
Jo has acted across industries, advising public bodies, hospitality companies, communications agencies, banks, charities, and media companies, amongst others, as well as regularly advising senior executives in complex and reputationally-sensitive matters.
Jo trains management teams on employment matters, writes legal articles, and for a number of years was the author of the Tolley's Loose-leaf Employment Law textbook chapters on Sex Discrimination, Pregnancy and Maternity Discrimination, and Gender Reassignment Discrimination.
Jo regularly appears as an expert panel member for The Guardian's Careers section live web chats.
Jo is a current member of the college accreditation panel for sector skills organisation People 1st, reviewing applications from catering colleges for industry-recognised accreditation.
Jo devised refresher courses for Employment lawyers returning from parental leave, with onsite childcare for attendees' children. Delegates described the courses (delivered by Jo) as a "really useful and forward-thinking initiative"; and "an excellent idea, perfectly pitched".
Jo was Vice Chair and Trustee of Reprieve (UK registered human rights charity) from 2002 to 2012.
- Corbin & King Restaurants Limited on all Employment issues arising, restructuring matters, and general staffing issues
- a Partner in a US law firm on her experience of discrimination and victimisation, managing the highly sensitive strategy of her onward move to a "Magic Circle" law firm
- Executive Chefs and Restaurant Owners on terms for the operation of new ventures including agreements with investors
- DEFRA on a review of contracts across its related agencies to ensure ongoing compliance and suitable harmonisation
- a Senior Advertising Executive on maternity and sex discrimination, achieving a managed severance and full reputational protection.
"Efficient…provides sound advice."
"Jo is a Trustee in the same charity as me. She is clear, precise, and has buckets of integrity."
"Jo has provided expert legal advice on a number of complex employment law matters. She has always been pragmatic, thorough and provided considered balanced advice while delivering results for the business. I would have no doubt about engaging Jo again as I completely trust her both personally and professionally."
"Jo is a really smart user friendly lawyer - authoritative, knowledgeable, fast and highly reliable. I have highly recommended her to colleagues and have absolutely no doubt we will be using her again."