Jay’s career is defined by helping clients navigate through heavy weather. His experience and judgment in the most demanding of business crises provides assurance in board rooms when upheaval and uncertainty are the norm. Jay works closely with clients’ executive teams and their boards to find and create options when none are readily apparent.
For over twenty-five years Jay has served as lead litigation counsel in a wide range of technology, licensing, trade secret and other business cases in federal and state courts across the country. He’s led internal investigations for US and international companies in numerous complex technology and financial matters.
Jay serves as the co-leader of the Firm’s Technology Sector.
Presentations and Publications
- Quoted, Report Says Schools Must Pay More Attention Inside Classrooms, Triangle Business Journal
- Fighting Fire with Fire: IP Commission Says American Business Needs Better Weapons to Fight IP Thieves.
- A Short Primer on Amending Patent Contentions in the EDNC, The Compass
- Never Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight: One Simple Weapon to Fight Economic Espionage in a Cyberspace World.
- Co-author, Time to Accept That Information Drives Economy, Triangle Business Journal
- Chapters on Indemnification of Board Members, Legal Duties of Board Members, Directors and Officers’ Liability Insurance and Personal Liability of Board Members, Building a Strong Board of Directors/Advisors & Board Best Practices Primer
- Winning in Litigation – Before the Suit is Filed, Research Triangle Area Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Event,
- A Crisis Handbook for In-House Counsel. Lex Mundi Counsel Global Symposium
- New Rules of the Road: Recent Changes to the Federal Civil Rules.
- Mitigating Risks of Cloud Computing, Research Triangle Area Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel CLE Event, September 19, 2012
Honors and Awards
- Chambers USA 2016 Ranked Lawyer, Litigation - General Commercial, North Carolina
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Intellectual Property, Litigation - Securities, 2007 – Present
- Super Lawyers Honoree, 2006 - 2019
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Numerous cases on behalf of both software developers and software licensees prosecuting and defending against licensing, fraud, breach of contract, copyright and trade secrets claims.
- Internal investigations of IP theft and infringement issues.
- Internal and regulatory investigations representing limited partners of private equity partnerships and similar investment entities.
- Defense of an independent research company regarding purported rescission of title to patent portfolio and inventorship issues.
- Defense of a large financial institution accused of fraud and misappropriation of trade secrets in connection with its procurement and bidding practices.