Gregory Sampson is a real estate, land use, and environmental attorney with more than 18 years of experience in commercial real estate transactions, including significant experience in the planning, design, permitting and development of brownfields and other previously developed properties, as well as renewable energy and infrastructure projects. His practice includes representing clients on matters relating to acquisitions/dispositions and commercial financing, including construction loans, refinancing, workouts, and tax credit supported lending. He represents clients throughout the permitting and public approval process at the federal, state, and local levels on issues related to zoning and land use, wetlands and waterways, air and water quality, environmental policy acts, and sustainability mandates and incentives.
Before practicing as an attorney, Greg worked for approximately 10 years as a Project Manager/Senior Environmental Planner for BSC Group, Inc. in Boston, where he managed multi-disciplinary land development and infrastructure improvement projects for private and public sector clients throughout New England. Greg is a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Accredited Professional with Neighborhood Development specialty, and was formerly certified as a Professional Wetland Scientist by the Society of Wetland Scientists.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represent developer of a five-star destination resort casino on a formerly contaminated chemical plant site. Representation includes supporting the client on various federal, state and local permitting matters, including environmental review, site cleanup, transportation permitting, accessibility compliance and off-site mitigation proposals, as well as in numerous real estate transactions, including land purchases and leases, easements, licenses and parcel assemblage.
- Represent local developer and joint venture partner with distressed loan purchase and foreclosure of an historic mill property for redevelopment into a mixed-use office and retail complex and potential residential development.
- Represent industrial property owner in the purchase and financing of numerous properties throughout the Northeast, and in the development of a new corporate campus in Lowell, Massachusetts for a long term corporate tenant.
- Represent real estate companies and REITs in the acquisition, disposition and/or financing of numerous office, industrial, multifamily, retail, hotel and mixed-use properties.
- Represented local developer with purchase and financing of an historic mill site for multifamily redevelopment project permitted under MGL c. 40R and funded with historic and low-income housing tax credits and various state and local housing loans.
- Representation of private developer in the permitting and approval process for a new automobile dealership, with issues relating to state environmental review, wetlands fill and mitigation, state highway access permitting and local zoning approvals in abutting municipalities.
- Represented a private developer in the negotiation and closing of a long-term ground lease and leasehold financing for a 40-acre commercial/industrial park in South Boston. Advised client on local, state and federal regulatory approvals for substantial capital and infrastructure improvements; developed permitting and construction scopes and schedules for required infrastructure improvements and tenant repairs; and represented client during environmental enforcement proceedings.
- Represent wireless telecommunications companies in the siting and approval process for hundreds of new facilities and equipment upgrades.
- Represented investor in renewable energy project funding, including evaluation of local and state approvals and utility interconnection approval process.
- Represented developer in obtaining a favourable settlement in a wetlands-related appeal concerning a proposed residential subdivision on an approximately 84-acre site in southeastern Massachusetts containing extensive coastal and inland wetland resource areas and endangered species habitats.
Professional and Civic Activities
- NAIOP – The Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Massachusetts Chapter: Vice President – Government Affairs, 2017-2019; Member, Government Affairs Advisory Council, 2013– present; Co-chair of Energy, Infrastructure & Economic Development Committee, 2011–2014; National Association: Member, Environment and Infrastructure Committee, 2016–2020
- Environmental Business Council of New England, Inc.: Board of Directors, 2017-present
- City of Melrose Planning Board: Member, 2016-present; Chair, 2021-present
- U.S. Green Building Council, Massachusetts Chapter: Board of Directors, 2010–2015; Chair, 2013–2014
- Green Building Certification Institute/U.S. Green Building Council: LEED® Accredited Professional Neighborhood Development, 2011–present
- Society of Wetland Scientists: Professional Wetland Scientist, 2006–2011
- American Council of Engineering Companies of Massachusetts: Emerging Leader, 2008
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, "Green Leasing for Retail Landlord and Tenant Perspectives," Retail Law Strategist, March 2011
- "The Race for Space: Accommodating Demand For ECommerce & Life Science Users," Transforming Boston Industrial: How the Best Can Get Even Better, BISNOW Digital Summit, June 2021
- Moderator, "Housing Choice: A New Tool for Housing Production," NAIOP Massachusetts, March 2021
- "Connecting LEED to our Commonwealth: LEED Regionalization," ArchitectureBoston Expo, Boston, October 2014
- "Designing for Coastal Storms," ArchitectureBoston Expo, Boston, November 2013
- "Flip the Switch: New Energy Efficiency Requirements, Incentives and Tools," NAIOP Massachusetts educational programme, Boston, January 2013
- "Public and Private Applications for LEED for Neighborhood Development," Southern New England Planning Conference, Providence, October 2011
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings), Real Estate Law, 2020-2021
- Recognized as a Recommended Attorney by The Legal 500 US, Real Estate, 2020
- Super Lawyers Honoree, Massachusetts Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters) Top Rated Land Use & Zoning Attorney in Boston, MA, 2013-2014, 2018-2019