Greg focuses his practice on multi-state and international commercialization of emerging medical devices and health care services, including structuring and financing physician joint ventures and associated health care regulatory compliance. He has significant experience in advising and assisting health care clients in the development, organization, financing and operation of medical technology and medical service ventures. He has particular experience in multi-state medical ventures involving surgery centers, physician practice mergers and acquisitions, lithotripsy, anatomical pathology, radiation therapy, wound care, prostate cancer, enlarged prostate, diagnostic imaging, pain therapy, orthopaedics and refractive laser surgery. He has structured ventures to provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical procedures in all settings, including mobile delivery, physician offices, ambulatory surgery centers, private clinics and hospitals.
Greg advises clients on federal health care compliance, including Stark, Anti-kickback and Anti-markup rules, and state health care compliance issues in all 50 states, including licensure, certificate of need, fee splitting, malpractice planning, regulatory compliance, contracting, anti-kickback, physician self-referral laws and tax planning. Greg has also developed health care ventures in all 50 states and in over 20 countries.
Greg has assisted clients in defending Medicare repayment and False Claims Act actions brought by branches of the federal government. His experience also includes negotiating repayment settlements with CMS under the Stark voluntary disclosure protocol. More recently Greg has assisted clients to comply with the Federal Sunshine Act.
- American Bar Association, Tax and Health Care Sections
- North Carolina Bar Association, Tax and Health Care Sections
- American Health Lawyers Association
Honors and Awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Corporate Law, Health Care Law, Tax Law, Securities / Capital Markets Law, 2001 – Present
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients
- Represented public and private companies and physician groups in the development of lithotripsy ventures in 36 states and 5 countries.
- Compliance counsel for Michael Drakeford, M.D. in the landmark False Claims Act Stark federal case United States ex. rel. Drakeford v. Tuomey Healthcare System.
- Represented many practice groups and companies in the development of physician office radiation therapy centers.
- Represented many practice groups in multiple states in group practice mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented multiple companies in the development of BPH laser and holmium laser service ventures in over 25 states.