Gordon has more than three decades of experience representing private and public companies in a wide range of corporate transactions and restructurings, as well as in general corporate governance matters. He serves as “outside general counsel” to many clients, guiding them through day-to-day corporate matters. Clients also rely on Gordon for his counsel on mission-critical transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, sales, and venture capital and private equity investments. His specific transactional experience includes auctions; leveraged buyouts (LBOs); acquisitions and dispositions of product lines, divisions and businesses; and cross-border transactions.
Gordon’s clients include companies in the life sciences (biotech, healthcare, medical devices), high tech, manufacturing, banking/financial services and marketing sectors and range from start-up entities seeking their initial round of funding to Fortune 100 corporations with transactions valued at more than $1 billion.
In the community, Gordon serves as a Trustee of the Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center, a non-profit organization that has provided educational services to Boston’s inner city youth for almost 200 years.
Civic and Professional Activities
- American Bar Association
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Boston Bar Association
- Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center, Trustee
- The Intersection of Two Perspectives: The Lawyer & The VC, The Venture Capital Legal Handbook: Industry Insiders on the Laws and Documents that Govern VC Deals, Raising Capital, Mergers & Acquisitions, April 1, 2004
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represented a foreign entity in its bid for a $4 billion division of a Fortune 100 company and in subsequent disputes with its joint venture partner concerning that acquisition.
- Represented a chain of privately owned nursing homes and long-term care facilities in their sale to a public entity structured to take advantage of a unique long-term tax deferral opportunity that increased the value of the transaction to the client by more than 200%.
- Represented an SBIC venture fund in all of its investments with primary responsibility for structuring the terms of each investment and disposition.
- Guided a public foreign company in acquiring a division of a Fortune 100 company in order to establish its first US operating subsidiary, and in numerous follow-on acquisitions.
- Negotiated and structured the recapitalization and financing of a life sciences company involving a new $50 million investment.
- Negotiated and structured the recapitalization of a private company involving a $30 million venture capital investment and its subsequent sale two years later for more than $100 million to a Fortune 100 company.