David Hamilton has a long career as a business litigator and as a strategic advisor to businesses and government and community enterprises. As a business litigator, David has quarterbacked and tried numerous antitrust and business competition cases for domestic and multinational companies in sectors such as Healthcare, Manufacturing, Consumer Products, and Financial and Advisory Services. David’s litigation clients often become business clients of the firm because they trust David and his judgment. David has been active in national and state politics, having served as general counsel to campaigns, having acted on campaign finance committees and having advised candidates (most successful!). David has served on for-profit and not-for-profit boards and has led successful capital campaigns. As an example, David currently serves via a gubernatorial appointment as a Trustee of the $49 billion Maryland State Retirement System and chairs its Securities Litigation Committee; this is the second time David has been appointed to this role.
David is a member of the global Womble Bond Dickinson Board and the US Firm’s Management Committee; he founded the Baltimore office in 2007. David also is the US sector leader of the Wealth Management team.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-Author, Chapter: Civil RICO, Business Torts, Second Edition, American Bar Association, 2005
- Author, Chapter: Lobbying and Electioneering, published in Ober Kaler’s The Nonprofit Legal Landscape by BoardSource, 2004
- Author, Chapter: Business Torts Litigation, Business Torts Litigation Handbook, American Bar Association, 2003
- Author, Data Mining Contracts, 2001
- Author, Hot Health Care Privacy (not HIPAA) Issues, Health Law Alert, 2001
- Author, The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act: Application in Today’s Health Care Company, Health Law Alert, 2001
- Author, The Economic Espionage Act of 1996: The Criminalization of Misappropriation of Trade Secrets, Health Law Alert, 1999.
- Speaker, Emerging Antitrust Policy and Practice in Health Care Mergers, Webinar, 2010
- Speaker, In Re Resident Physicians Antitrust Litigation, American Health Lawyers Association, 2004
- Speaker, Fundamentals of TROs and Preliminary Injunctions, ABA Corporate Counsel Meeting, 2001
- Lecturer, Litigation Budgeting and Management, ABA Corporate Counsel Meeting, 2000, 1999, 1998
- Panelist, Privacy for Marketers, DBMA Annual Meeting, 1999
- Lecturer, Y2K Liability Issues, Lattanze Center for Executive Management, 1999; Baltimore ACCA Meeting, 1998
Civic and Professional Activities
- Maryland Appellate Judicial Nominating Commission 2015-2019
- Trustee, Maryland State Retirement System Board of Trustees, 2016-2020. Chair, Securities Litigation Committee; Member, Investment Committee; Member Audit Committee
- Womble Carlyle Investment Management Practice Team leader2016-Present
- Board Member, Womble Carlyle/Bond Dickinson(UK) Strategic Alliance 2016-Present
- Chairman and President, Turning Point America SuperPAC 2015-Present
- American Bar Association, Section on Litigation
- Maryland Bar Association, Section on Litigation
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Ehrlich for Governor, Executive Finance Committee, 2003-present; Finance Committee, 2002
- State Retirement & Pension System, Board of Trustees, 2003-2007; Chair, Audit Committee, 2004; Administrative Committee, 2002-2003
- Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, Board of Directors, 2004-2006
- Gilman School, Parents Association, President, 2002-2003; Board of Trustees, 2002-2006
- Heart Ball (American Heart Association) Executive Committee, 2011 and 2013
Honors and Awards
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America (BL Rankings) in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Government Relations Practice, Litigation – Antitrust, Litigation – Mergers and Acquisitions, 2011 – Present
- Received the Best Lawyers™ Governmental Relations "Lawyer of the Year" award in Baltimore, 2017, 2021
- Super Lawyers Honoree in the fields of Business Litigation, Civil Litigation, Antitrust Litigation, Maryland Super Lawyers magazine (Thomson Reuters), 2007, 2009 – Present
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Represent publicly traded paperboard company in antitrust and patent litigation.
- Represented national health care system in defense of antitrust violations arising from contracting practices.
- Represented publicly traded international chemical company in defense of international cartel price fixing allegations.
- Represented five national academic medical center hospitals in defense of antitrust class action by medical residents.
- Represented tobacco-products manufacturer in five-week trial on patent issues involving curing tobacco.