Mark’s practice focuses on solving complex federal and state tax, acquisition, disposition and related business and financial issues for public and private business clients, as well as nonprofit healthcare and educational institutional clients. Mark also has industry expertise in aviation and NASCAR motorsports industries, as well as over twenty-five years of experience in handling federal and state tax controversy matters.
Mark is a current representative of the Womble Firm Management Committee, and he has served as: the Vice Chairman of Womble Bond Dickinson, the Chairman of FirmLogic, LLC, an Adjunct Instructor to the Wake Forest University MBA Evening Program, Commissioner and Secretary/Treasurer of the Forsyth County Airport Commission and a member of the Novant Foundation Board of Trustees. In addition, he has been listed in "The Best Lawyers in America" for the last 19 consecutive years, North Carolina Super Lawyers for the last 11 consecutive years and North Carolina Legal Elite in 2009, 2010 and 2017 and the "The Best Lawyers Tax Lawyer of the Year" in 2014 and 2015 (Greensboro) and The Best Lawyers Tax Litigation & Controversy Lawyer of the Year in 2012 and 2016 (Greensboro). Mark is also a licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a licensed private fixed-wing and rotary-wing (helicopter) pilot.
- Commissioner, Forsyth County Airport Commission, 2014-2016
- Secretary/Treasurer, Forsyth County Airport Commission, 2015
- Member, Novant Foundation Board of Trustees, 2014-2015
- Forsyth County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Tax Council, 1996-1998
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, 1989-2015
- Member: North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Member: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, 1985-2012
- Member: Northwest Piedmont Chapter of Certified Public Accountants
- Past Member, Forsyth County Estate Planning Council
- Certified Public Accountant, 1988
- Adjunct Instructor, Wake Forest University MBA Evening Program, Federal Income Tax Consequences of Business Transactions
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in America
- North Carolina Super Lawyers
- North Carolina Legal Elite
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- NASCAR Motorsports – Mark has served as legal counsel to NASCAR team owners, drivers and track owners for nearly three decades providing advice on business, tax, aviation and motorsports matters.
- Tax Controversy – Mark, along with a team of lawyers, successfully represented Home Concrete & Supply, LLC, before the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court (Home Concrete & Supply, et. al v. United States, (April 25, 2012) Case No. 11-139) in a case in which the Supreme Court in a landmark and closely watched case upheld the three-year income tax statute of limitations and ruled that income tax treasury regulations promulgated by the US Treasury were invalid under the principles of Chevron, USA v. National Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 US 837 (1984).
- Healthcare Joint Ventures – Mark has provided tax structuring and business and related advice for healthcare institutional clients, including acquisitions, divestitures or joint ventures in laboratory, home health, durable medical equipment, pharmacy, continuing retirement care, ambulatory surgery centers, hospital acquisition, physician acquisition and real estate development of facilities and offices.
- Mergers & Acquisitions – Mark has assisted numerous clients with tax structuring acquisition and disposition transactions, including mergers, spinoffs and divestitures.
- Aviation/Aircraft Acquisition – Mark routinely assists clients in connection with aircraft acquisition, aircraft structure and aircraft operations issues. He has assisted clients in acquiring new aircraft from numerous aircraft manufacturers including Cessna, Bombardier, Bell Helicopter, Sikorsky and Dassault, as well as the acquisition, disposition and operation of previously owned aircraft.