Barbara handles commercial property development and transactional work including land assembly, infrastructure and development, sales and acquisitions, joint ventures, forward sales and letting.
She has notable experience in the chemical sector, including underground storage and remediation matters and pipelines as well as a substantial track record acting in the education sector including universities, further education colleges and for academies and free schools.
She also manages the delivery of firm wide services for clients generally and on individual projects to ensure delivery on time and to an extremely high standard.
- Sembcorp on the sale of various heavy industrial development sites on former ICI Wilton site, now Wilton International
- SABIC on the purchase of site for development of LDPE plant and logistics facility on Wilton.
- On the decommissioning, remediation and sale of redundant legacy sites (many contaminated) for various chemical sector clients and sale of surplus land alongside operational production facilities
- RWE Dea UK SNS Limited in connection with the offshore and onshore aspects of its Breagh Project bringing gas from the North Sea UK continental shelf onshore for delivery and processing including pipeline easements, sub-terranean leases and numerous proximity and crossing agreement for interface with other apparatus, pipelines, rail and road crossings
- The Education and Skills Funding Agency (part of the Department for Education) in relation to the Free Schools programme nationally from its inception including the acquisition, development, redevelopment and delivery of temporary and permanent sites on a mixture of greenfield, brownfield and redundant office or industrial sites for conversion or redevelopment for free school use. This includes acting for the Department for Communities & Local Government, where sites are to be Government owned and then acting in leasing those sites to free schools both on a temporary and permanent basis. She also deals with acquisitions of sites for multiple occupancy by a number of schools and school and other organisations or as part of major redevelopment or regeneration of urban sites where the ability to procure school planning permission unlocks other development
- Acting for clients in relation to land promotion for residential development.
- Acting in relation to optioning and promotion of sites for power generation.
- Acting for the Quarry Battery Company in relation to a significant pumped hydro storage project.
- Acting for a rare earth mineral processing project in relation to optioning the project site subject to planning with relevant offsite easements
- Acting in relation to optioning and promoting a site for development as a waste to energy power plant
- Reece Group – acquisition of significant BAE Systems industrial defence procurement site on the north bank of the Tyne in west Newcastle.
- JT Dove Limited – acquisition and development of site for builders, timber and plumbing merchant use
- Hexham Auction Mart Company Limited in relation to their acquisition of Hexham Racecourse as a going concern.
Gave top ranking to the 'very competent' team at the firm, recognising its particular expertise in the education sector and noted:
“Department head, Barbara Painter, is ‘proactive in progressing matters.”
Ranks both the team Band 1 and Barbara individually as band 2 and notes that she has notable experience in the chemical sector, including underground storage and remediation and has broad experience of commercial property matters as well as specialist knowledge in the charity and education sectors.
"She is excellent."
"She always gets back to us, always gives clear advice including risks, but she also suggests an answer and explains why instead of just asking us."
"Straightforward and to the point."
"She is second to none in my eyes; her grasp of a problem and tackling it head on is fantastic in the right moment of complex dealings."
"She is extremely efficient, comes back extremely quickly and is direct and to the point."
Key energy lawyers at the firm include Barbara Painter, whose experience extends to linear infrastructure projects including gas and other pipeline and storage projects