Andrew undertakes a broad range of commercial matters with a particular focus on IT, technology and IP law. He has acted for a diverse range of clients, from start-ups to globally-recognised companies. Andrew gives pragmatic and commercial advice and his science background gives him an advantage helping clients that benefit from a deeper technical understanding. He is a member of both the Society for Computers and Law and the Licensing Executives Society.
Andrew has valuable in-house experience gained while working for a property maintenance and drainage company and his work regularly includes software development/licensing agreements, advising on IP protection, corporate support on IT and IP matters, manufacturing agreements, digital marketing, adtech, IP assignment and licensing agreements and consumer-friendly sales and service terms.
Andrew has a bachelor's degree in Chemistry from The University of Edinburgh and has undertaken significant postgraduate studies, including a Masters in International Legal Practice from The University of Law and a Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice from The University of Oxford.
Examples of experience include:
- Preparing and delivering presentations and running business clinics, including at the University of Southampton, focusing on IP, information technology, data protection and commercial contracts
- Preparing and negotiating collaboration agreements, notably for a novel dark web software search solution and related data use and for remote-piloting airplane technology
- Advising on the licensing of pharmaceutical patents and know-how
- Advising on and preparing a suite of documents for a business importing furniture for sale in the UK, including manufacturing, logistics and warehousing, installation and consumer-friendly sales agreements
- Leading the negotiation and agreement for the sale to the US arm of a global business of a range of IP relating to a mechanical product and related software.