Alastair specialises in commercial IT and technology related matters. He has extensive experience in advising on large-scale technology implementations, licensing, the use of cloud based solutions, outsourcing and development projects frequently in the financial services, insurance, telecoms and transport sectors (where there is often a cross-over between the technology related issues and regulation involved). Alastair also works regularly with a number of retail sector clients on technology and ecommerce related projects.
In parallel, Alastair advises clients on data protection issues most commonly relating to the use and transfer of customer data (particularly in the context of the type of project referred to above) and has experience in the exploitation of intellectual property rights, particularly relating to software development, the use of open source software and websites. This also involves the support of corporate transactions in these areas, together with advising on linked transitional services arrangements.
Alastair wrote and maintains the Thomson Reuters ‘PLC' practice note on ‘Outsourcing in the Insurance Sector' and contributes other similar work for LexisPSL. He is also regularly involved in client training and seminars on IT related matters and has spoken at a number of Fintech events in the UK and US.
Examples of experience include advising:
- Negotiation of various technology outsourcing agreements for a large wealth management company including in relation to the implementation, licensing and support of a core ‘investment book of record' platform and the development and ongoing operation of a web-based wealth management platform
- Working with a UK retail bank on the migration of its banking platform and key IT systems to a new provider
- Advising a number of UK Fintechs on the technology used in the operation of their platforms and the outsourcing of services by them
- Advising a large global comms provider on a number of technology related matters including the negotiation of email services agreements, an agreement for a cloud storage solution which underpins a consumer cloud offering and the roll-out of public wifi
- Working with a range of transport operators on the roll out of public communications/wifi solutions in stations and in vehicles.
- Advising a European financial institution on its c. £100m group wide outsourcing of ADAM and Infrastructure services to HCL, including the offshoring of various services to India
- Working with Atom Bank on the negotiation of various IT contracts as part of the establishment of its IT platforms
- Negotiation of a range of contracts for a Lloyd's syndicate insurer concerning the development, hosting and support of a cloud based underwriting platform capable of being offered by the insurer on a ‘white label' basis to international brokers
- Advising a large transport operator on a framework agreement for the development of the group companies' principal taxi booking application
- Working with a large defence contractor on the renegotiation of its long term flight training agreement relating to the migration away from legacy technology to the use of a centrally provided hosted service
- Negotiation of a range of agreements covering the provision of a UK insurer's core policy and claims underwriting administration systems.
- Negotiation of a range of agreements for a national retail delivery company involving the licensing of its central retail delivery solution and connected hosting arrangements
- Advising various insurers on their systems and reporting related preparations for Solvency II, including multiple data licensing arrangements in respect of investment valuations
- Advising a European metering company on the c. £250m contracts for the supply by it of smart meter communications technology into the roll-out programme for the South and Central regions
- Working with a German software vendor on all of its UK licensing deals, principally with customers in the automotive sector.
"What he doesn't know about IT isn't worth knowing and he's fantastic with us as a client. He really is our go-to person."
“Extremely business minded” and "very good at cutting down to the core of the problem and finding a solution that works for both parties."