Womble Bond Dickinson has significant experience representing clients with the acquisition, disposition and financing of timberland and agricultural resources. Having guided clients in some of the largest timberland transactions in the US, we know how to manage these complex deals in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
Our multidisciplinary team assists institutional timberland investment managers, owners and lenders with acquiring, financing, managing, and selling timberland and agricultural investment properties throughout the US.
Experience, teamwork and a thorough working knowledge of timberland and agricultural issues, real estate laws, land use regulations, investment structures and related tax implications are a hallmark of our timberland and agricultural resources group. When combined with strong relationships built over many years with key industry members, we are well-positioned to help clients achieve their goals.
We regularly work with investment managers, landowners, lenders, foresters, timber consultants, and others in the management of timberland and agricultural resources. Our services include purchase and sale agreements, supply agreements, land management agreements, timber leases, easements, environmental issues, timber rights, land financings, logging contracts, syndication of investment funds, and debt financings.
We also advise timberland owners in negotiating supply agreements with private and public company pulp, paper, log, and wood chip mills.
We assemble efficient and experienced teams of lawyers, paralegals and legal assistants to address due diligence, documentation, and other complex issues in these transactions to ensure quality and cost-effective solutions for our clients.
What we do
- Timberland and agricultural sales and acquisitions
- Timberland and agricultural finance transactions
- Organizational, investment and ownership structures
- Regulatory (including Hart-Scott-Rodino compliance)
Examples of work
- Represented institutional timber fund in connection with the multi-state acquisition and parcelization of approximately 600,000 acres of timberland including title review, procurement and review of title insurance, preparation of conveyance and assignment documentation, and due diligence review of supply agreements, timber purchase agreements and all other contracts
- Represented institutional timberland manager with the sale of 295,000 acres of investment timberland properties located in Arkansas and Texas
- Represented institutional timberland manager with the acquisition of 100,000 acres of investment timberland properties in Florida from a public forest products company
- Represented institutional lender in multi-state timberland financing transactions including approximately 57,000 acres located in five states, 53,000 acres and sawmills located in two states, and sawmills and 3,000 acres located in two states
- Represented institutional agricultural manager in connection with acquisition of multiple large agricultural properties located throughout the southern United States
- Represented institutional timberland manager and owners in connection with the negotiation of long term log supply and pulpwood supply agreements with public forest products companies
- Represented timberland fund in connection with syndication of multiple funds which invest exclusively in timberland, including organizing the syndicated limited partnerships, preparing corporate documents and partnership agreements, preparing the offering documents for potential investors, and advising on related tax, corporate and securities issues