We represent many of the world's best-known consumer brands and retailers, operating across the sector, including food and beverage companies, hotels and restaurants, gaming operators, developers, investors, and producers.
Our highly talented Retail and Consumer group represents clients across the US, UK and Europe. In addition to their wealth of experience advising industry-leading companies and market innovators, our lawyers also maintain excellent relationships with key industry associations.
Our clients in the UK include Kingfisher Group, Colgate-Palmolive, Whitbread (Costa Coffee), Post Office, Specsavers and New Look. In the US, our clients include Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc., Reynolds American, Inc., Lowe’s Companies, Inc., and Hanesbrands Inc.
Our advice covers the full range of national and international retail and consumer legal issues including:
- Intellectual property and brand protection
- Marketing and advertising including social media
- Product packaging and labeling
- Corporate transactions (mergers, acquisitions, dispositions) and tax
- Commercial agreements
- Data privacy and cybersecurity
- Logistics, supply and distribution
- Employment and pensions
- Product regulation and compliance
- Patent prosecution and litigation
- Health and safety regulation and litigation
- Consumer product litigation
- Gaming and gambling regulation and compliance
- Real estate transactions.
What we do
- Food & Beverage
- Hospitality & Leisure
- Packaged Goods.
Examples of work
- We work with Kingfisher Group across a variety of service areas, advising on software licensing agreements with ATG and omni-channel technologies for B&Q stores to worldwide group-wide frameworks with Wincor for technology services. We also advise on most aspects of B&Q's data protection compliance including complex outsourcing, cross-border data transfers and compliance with European GDPR regulations. Much of our work with Kingfisher is exciting cutting-edge retail technology, often using the latest tech developments to enhance in-store experience
- The firm played a significant role in supporting the Post Office Limited's Network Transformation Programme – the largest project in the Post Office Limited's history. It is supported by £1.94bn funding package from Government to modernise and invest in the network. We are supporting their in-house team in developing the implementation methodology as well as generating and managing the development of all documents used in the programme
- We have acted for Decathlon since 2015 on the roll-out of their stores into the UK market: they now have 32 stores. In addition to advising on the property aspects of the store roll-out, we have advised in relation to trade mark, design, copyright and infringement matters
- Advising Accor on the licensing application for a new hotel within the shadow of Wembley Stadium, which presented its own particular challenges given the location of the premises (permission was granted without restricting the nature of the client's operations)
- Managed $250 million acquisition from a national franchisor of 194 quick-service restaurants (QSR) across the south-eastern US in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi
- Successfully defended R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in a business tort case brought by 37 Missouri hospitals claiming $477 million in unreimbursed healthcare costs plus punitive damages
- Lead acquisition counsel for Adidas International in its acquisitions of Textronics, Bones in Motion, VivoMetrics and Five Ten
- Represented Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. in $1.35 billion sale to JAB Holding
- Represented regional grocery anchor with build-to-suit leases, ground leases, acquisitions and development of properties located throughout North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.
"They have great personal relationships, they invest lots of time in knowing and understanding your business, and provide great legal advice in a commercial context."
"They have a genuine passion for the sector. They are innovative in finding solutions for clients."