Womble Bond Dickinson is seasoned in structuring mixed-use developments, which blend retail, office, residential, hospitality, commercial, industrial, parking, and special purpose uses, based on our clients’ goals and needs. We are equally experienced in joint venture and public-private arrangements among developers of various components of multi-use projects.
Mixed-use projects frequently involve multiple parties and differing and unique concerns, thereby requiring creative solutions. Our firm represents developers and owners of multi-use projects, owners of component pieces of multi-use parcels, outparcel owners, tenants of multi-use parcels, project lenders, and lenders against component pieces of multi-use parcels.
We believe that our representation of differing parties in a multi-use transaction enables us to identify issues and draft documents that protect our clients’ needs while anticipating the competing interests of others that might be affected by such documents.
Our lawyers are familiar with the overlays of shared infrastructure (such as access, parking, utilities, and stormwater facilities), economic incentives at both local and state levels, joint public and private delineations, and zoning concerns and other land use regulations. We negotiate and draft covenants governing such shared usage, and we address maintenance and allocation of costs for these shared facilities.
- Site acquisition, subdivision, and disposition
- Project document negotiation and drafting
- Construction and development
- Land use and zoning
- Joint ventures and public/private ventures
- Ground leasing, condominiums, and air rights
- Represented a regional developer in a land assemblage transaction for the development of a mixed-use multi-family community with ground floor retail
- Represented the lead multi-family developer in a mixed-use redevelopment of property through a private/public partnership with the City of Rockville
- Represented a developer-tenant in the acquisition of a ground leasehold interest and associated development rights for the development of a mixed-used, high-rise building containing multi-family housing, retail, and structured parking garage
- Served as lead counsel to multiple developers in connection with separate mixed use, transit oriented developments involving HUD/FHA financing combined with new markets tax credits
- Represented master developer in mid-rise condominium project in which ground-level retail spaces were developed and sold to a retail developer for build-out and operation as restaurant spaces
- Represented master developer of mixed-use urban project encompassing two city blocks in which retail spaces were planned and sold, including sharing of various development and operational costs
- Represented hotelier in the acquisition of a multi-story air-rights parcel in a multi-use property containing hospitality, retail, and office uses in conjunction with a public-private parking facility
- Represented lender in a construction/permanent loan to build two high-rise retail and office facilities in air rights, with various economic incentives