Developers and sponsors pursuing acquisitions and development of new real estate projects have long recognized the benefits of collaborating with capital and strategic partners to help accomplish their goals. We help our commercial real estate clients navigate all aspects of joint ventures and investments in a thoughtful, cost-effective and efficient manner, always focused on the desired objectives of the parties.
At Womble Bond Dickinson, we handle all aspects of joint ventures and investments for our commercial real estate clients, which include owners, developers, private equity funds, pension funds, REITs, insurance companies, institutional and private investors and entrepreneurs.
We understand the complex issues that arise in these joint venture arrangements, and we call upon our deep bench of real estate finance, corporate, tax and ERISA attorneys to provide creative and comprehensive service. We are experienced in public/private ventures, portfolio fund investments, preferred equity investment structures, multi-tiered entity structures, staged funding ventures for development, and strategic alliances.
We guide clients in balancing numerous risk factors and growth opportunities inherent in joint venture transactions. Our lawyers work with an eye towards getting the deal done using their knowledge and practical market experience.
What we do
- Financing and fund investments
- Asset management
- Tax structure – federal, state and local
Examples of work
- Advised US developer through all aspects of acquisition and development of a mixed-use development incorporating multifamily, retail and hotel uses, including negotiation of public financing, land use entitlements, joint venture equity and debt financing transactions, and resolution of environmental contamination concerns
- Negotiated multiple joint ventures between hotel developers and a national hotel REIT
- Represented publicly-traded company in a joint venture transaction, acquiring a 25% interest in one of the world’s largest timeshare resorts
- Represented publicly traded homebuilder in connection with joint venture for the acquisition and development of property as master planned residential community, including a $200 million acquisition and development credit facility
- Advised a joint venture formed by a multifamily asset manager and a private equity investor in the restructuring of senior mortgage, senior mezzanine and junior mezzanine loans in the aggregate principal amount of approximately $330 million, previously advanced by a foreign financial institution and secured by 7 multi-family apartment assets located in the Washington, DC metropolitan area
- Represented a national developer in the acquisition, financing and development of two urban multi-family projects in North Carolina, including multiple joint venture/LLC structures, preferred equity/mezzanine financing, senior construction financing with condominium and mixed-use components
- Represented a development joint venture in the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of multiple blocks of Charlotte, North Carolina uptown properties as a 1,000,000+ square foot mixed-use project
- Represented joint venture entity in the recapitalization, development and lease-out of downtown Charleston hotel, office and retail development