Expansion and relocation are among the most significant, long-lasting decisions business leaders can make. Adding real estate, square footage and employees can drive a company’s growth - but they don’t come without risks. Our team of experienced economic development lawyers helps companies cover their bases when seeking economic incentives for development throughout the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic US.
Womble Bond Dickinson’s Economic Development team works with domestic and international companies seeking to expand or relocate operations primarily in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic US, with a focus on North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. We advise these companies from the earliest stages of expansion and relocation (before the real estate is purchased) to the end of the deal, long past the point when the shovel hits the ground.
We negotiate incentive packages of varying needs and sizes, and we draft all related documentation for Fee-in-Lieu of Tax Agreements, state grants, job tax credits, job development credits, utility grants and many other economic development incentives and grants.
Clients can expect seamless service throughout the life of the deal. We foster long-term relationships with clients, with a focus on their overall business strategy. We create custom solutions, rather than off-the-shelf form contracts, to ensure that clients’ interests are represented in economic development transactions.
What we do
Our specific services to economic development clients include:
- Economic development incentives
- Real estate
- Land use and siting procedures
- Corporate finance
- Public finance
- Corporate and securities
- Environmental due diligence
- Labor & employment
- Federal & state government affairs
- Regulatory and permitting matters at the state, county and local level
Examples of work
- Represented manufacturer and corporate headquarters project in largest life sciences announcement in Lowcountry of South Carolina’s history, creating over 300 new jobs
- Represented and advised three major internet search-engine related corporate clients during the site-selection and eventual site-location of multiple, billion-dollar-plus server farm projects in the Carolinas
- Represented a manufacturer in establishing a 1.5 million square foot manufacturing facility, which will create more than 200 new jobs
- Served as lead state and local incentives counsel for numerous client headquarters expansion and/or relocation projects including CompuCom, SPX, Movement Mortgage, The Lash Group, Red Ventures, Rack Room Shoes, Mergent, and Chiquita Brands International, Inc.
- Represented an Italian manufacturer in expanding its original investment and doubling the size of its operations in South Carolina
- Represented a company locating a large manufacturing facility in South Carolina, which created several thousand new jobs and brought in hundreds of millions of dollars in capital investment
- Served as primary outside and site selection counsel to international manufacturing clients including CTL Packaging (Spanish), Lanxess and Continental Tire (German), Reliance Industries (Indian), Nitta Gelatin, Sony Chemical, and Livedo (Japanese), Iljin (Korean), and Legrande (French) during successful plant locations throughout the Southeast United States
- Advised a number of national commercial real estate developers with build-to-suit and/or speculative development capital investment projects, obtaining significant incentives and site infrastructure assistance on their behalf from relevant state and local governmental entities as well as from relevant site utility providers