After decades of serving as trusted counsel to the insurance sector across the US and UK, Womble Bond Dickinson has amassed invaluable experience addressing the full range of legal matters a client will face. The firm is especially versed in litigation, transactional and regulatory matters. We also maintain a substantial presence in the London insurance and reinsurance market.
Our clients are leading insurers and reinsurers as well as captives, brokers, MGAs, Lloyd's syndicates and those involved in the distribution of insurance products.
Our corporate and commercial insurance team is highly regarded, with many of our lawyers referenced in the leading legal directories.
Areas of focus:
- Real estate investments
- M&A and restructurings
- Insurance and reinsurance group authorizations
- Solvency capital requirements
- Regulatory risk and compliance (including FCA, PRA and Lloyd’s market regulation)
- Liability and coverage disputes
- Product development and distribution
- Employment and pensions
- Cyber insurance/data protection
- Treasury and derivatives
- Funds and asset management
- Reinsurance disputes.
We deal with all types of insurance disputes resolution, including defending claims and advice on policy coverage issues. We provide clear, practical solutions across a wide range of product lines - from professional risk, directors & officers and financial institutions to casualty risk (including employer’s liability, public liability and catastrophic injury), property risk and cyber risk. We have a dedicated subrogated claims recovery service, providing a tailored approach, including a niche fine art insurance practice.
- Commercial contracts
- Commercial insurance
- Contracts, policies and procedures
- Coverage disputes
- D&O claims
- Employee benefits
- Employment disputes
- Pensions and ERISA litigation
- Appellate litigation
- Casualty risks disputes
- Class action litigation
- Commercial disputes
- Construction and engineering litigation
- Fiduciary litigation
- Financial lines claims
- International arbitration
- Pharmaceutical and medical device litigation
- Products litigation
- Professional risks disputes
- Property disputes
- Property risks disputes
- Securities litigation
- Financial services
- Regulatory compliance
- Cyber, data and privacy.
- Defended a major insurer in a month-long London Arbitration
- Represented US insurance company in defeating class certification based upon dual rate premiums and alleged violations of Sections 1981 and 1982
- Represented Nationwide Insurance in defending putative class action claims challenging its insurance practices
- Served as counsel for Americo Financial Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Investors Life Insurance Company of North America, and Americo Life, Inc. in annuity-based purported class action, obtaining complete dismissal. Plaintiffs have appealed to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Represented a US life insurance company in connection with construction/permanent loan facility for a mixed-use apartment/commercial project in Washington, D.C
- Represented a US life insurance company as a joint venture partner in connection with the sale of a commercial real estate project in the District of Columbia
- Represented a national life insurance company in connection with a permanent loan for a multi-tenant, GSA-Leased office project in Virginia
- Defended a US insurance company on claims relating to the funding of a defined benefit plan, including fraud, conversion, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, reformation and punitive damages
- Defended numerous insurers and ERISA Plans in benefit litigation in district court and appellate proceedings in the 5th, 6th and 11th Circuits
- Successfully arbitrated a significant dispute between an insurance company and a broker over commissions alleged to be due for the sale of corporate owned life insurance (COLI)
- Led the team defending Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company in a multi-million dollar bad faith case. This insurance company denied a claim for damage to a restaurant caused by a fire because it believed one of the owners set the fire. Arson is very difficult to prove, but our team secured a successful outcome for the client
- Defended a 65,000-employee US insurance and financial services company against multiple discrimination and other employment lawsuits in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland, United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia, and Maryland State Court
- Advising AIG in relation to its Crowdfunding Fidelity insurance policy, a policy to protect investors on equity crowdfunding platforms against fraud
- Advising Lloyd's (re)insurer Sompo Canopius on the sale of the majority of its retail or direct-to-consumer business to UK insurance broker A-Plan
- Assisting a UK Bank in relation to the insurance investment-related arrangements to assist account-holders that were unable to repay their interest-only mortgages
- A UK insurance company on structure and governance issues following the coming into force of the Solvency II insurance regulatory regime on 1 January 2016
- Working with a multi-national insurance group in relation to the review of a suite of policies to ensure that the policy wordings would be compliant with the requirements of the US Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare")
- Defending a professional negligence claim against a prominent firm of surveyors by a property trust and property investment funds, relating to the alleged mismanagement of a large portfolio of commercial properties
- Coverage advice to insurers relating to a number of professionals involved in the promotion of and/or advice on Enterprise Zone schemes, film finance schemes and other tax mitigation schemes
- Coverage dispute involving a law firm, acting on behalf of hundreds of investors who made failed investments in a property investment club
- Representing the joint interests of an insurer and its insured policyholder, one of the largest IFA networks in the UK, facing complaints regarding investment advice received from one of its advisers
- Advising Insurers on policy coverage in respect of a claim against their insured in respect of building and construction defects on iconic structures.
Insurance Team of the Year 2017
Highly commended for collaboration with two other law firms in support of insurance scheme aimed at SMEs
Best Legal Adviser 2016-17
Construction Firm of the Year (UK) 2016
Shortlisted for our expertise in professional negligence law
Shortlisted for our expertise in professional negligence law
"They're very experienced. They obviously know the subject really well and also know the insurance market inside out, so it all just works."
"Outstanding defendant-focused practice, drawing on the firm's wider network of offices to provide services both locally and nationally. Excellent reputation for defending negligence claims against solicitors, barristers and surveyors. Growing presence in the financial services, construction and technology sectors."