Our Land Use and Zoning Attorney Services
We are a team of attorneys, certified land planners, and paralegals located in nine offices in five contiguous states (Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia) and the District of Columbia who know that successful projects require integrated political, legal and planning services.
Womble Bond Dickinson’s land use and zoning practice is built on years of experience representing private developers and owners, as well as governments and municipalities. Our client’s projects range from industrial and manufacturing facilities, mixed use, retail, office and other commercial uses, multi-family residential, utilities and a variety of public/private partnerships.
We match the level of our services to each client’s needs on a project- by- project basis. Along with our in-house land planning professionals, our real estate development attorneys work directly with clients on their projects involving general land use matters.
When a project shifts a community’s paradigm or becomes a lightning rod, members of our core land use and zoning team dispatch to marshal the facts and develop creative applications of local, state, and federal laws to advance a project to success. These attorneys practice exclusively in the areas of land use law and litigation, land litigation, municipal law, and land planning.
A distinguishing feature of the Core Team is that members previously worked for a significant period in local or state governments. Consequently, the Core Team knows how to work within the powers and limitations of governments to identify and implement creative solutions. Although litigation may be necessary to blaze a trail to success, our team recommends it only after all reasonable efforts have been exhausted, and when litigation provides the best potential solution for our client.
The team authors the North Carolina Land Use Litigator, a blog that digests and analyzes land use legal issues that matter to property owners, business owners, developers and local governments in North Carolina. The team has also created a series of videocasts on such topics as land use, zoning, development agreements and more.
What we do
Our attorneys and land planners have combined decades of varied experience in land use practice. Our clients want to use their land for their intended purposes, not legal battles. Our focus is on helping clients bring their projects to successful completion and avoid litigation.
Our land use and zoning experience includes:
- Zoning and rezoning
- Special and conditional use permits
- Site plans and subdivisions
- Interpretations and variances
- All sorts of administrative land use permits such as building permits and grading permits
- Development agreements
- Financing vehicles including Special Assessment Improvement Districts (SAIDs) and Tax Increment Financing (TIFs)
- Economic development agreements
- Utility agreements for water, sewer, electricity and other utilities
- Public/private partnerships
- Regulatory and physical takings
- State and federal permits, including those involving riparian buffers, wetlands and brownfields
- Related land use litigation in conjunction with Womble Bond Dickinson’s Real Estate Litigation group