At Womble Bond Dickinson, we are proud to work with some of the largest and longest-standing financial institutions in the world.
Who We Are
With more than 200 financial services sector lawyers located across the United States and the United Kingdom, we offer a wealth of industry experience and market knowledge to serve both your commercial and regulatory needs. In fact, we represent nearly half of the top 100 US banks and 17 of the top 25 US banks. We have guided financial services clients of all sizes through market highs and lows and are well versed in advising on complex matters during an economic downturn.
This experience, coupled with our cutting-edge approach to technology, staffing and AI as well as our progressive view toward competitive rate structures, position us as a strategic partner to clients operating in the rapidly evolving financial services landscape.
What We Do
As one of the largest transatlantic firms with deep experience in the financial markets, we provide commercially focused legal advice with a personalized touch across a wide range of services for financial clients, including litigation, transactions, regulatory matters and more.
Litigation Service Areas
- Automotive Financing
- Bankruptcy and Collection Actions
- Class Actions and Complex Disputes
- Consumer Finance
- Credit and Debit Card Disputes
- Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)
- General Banking/Community Banking
- Real Estate Lending
- Student Loan Disputes
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Trusts and Estates
- Wealth and Investment Management
- Wholesale Lending (including corporate and commercial lending)
Transactional Service Areas
- Asset Based Lending
- Commercial Lending
- Commercial Real Estate Lending
- Direct Lending
- Equipment Leasing and Finance
- Employee Benefits
- Executive Compensation
- Fund Formation
- Impact Investment Lending
- Private Wealth/Family Office Lending
- Project Finance
- Public Finance (including tax-exempt/tax-credit financing and renewable energy projects)
- Securities and Reporting
- Structured Finance
- Syndicated Lending
- Treasury and Derivatives
Regulatory Service Areas
- Card and Payment Systems
- Corporate Governance
- Data Privacy
Other Service Areas
- Immigration Solutions
- Intellectual Property
- Internal Fraud and Related Investigations
A Diverse Client Base
Our team works closely with clients across all areas of the financial services industry, with a particular emphasis on advising banks, non-traditional lenders, fintech and regtech companies and insurance companies.
Our financial services client base includes:
- asset and wealth managers
- community, regional, national and global commercial banks
- credit unions
- crowdfunding platforms
- financial advisers
- fintech companies
- fund managers (including real estate, private equity, and debt – both onshore and offshore funds)
- US and foreign national government lending agencies
- impact investors
- institutional investors
- insurers and insurance brokers
- investment banks
- non-bank and non-traditional commercial and consumer lenders and intermediaries
A Transatlantic Perspective
With numerous long-standing and well-established locations in both the United States and the United Kingdom, and networks and relationships spanning the world, we bring an international perspective and extended jurisdictional reach to a wide range of client needs in the financial services sector. Our US financial services sector team leads are both strategically located in Charlotte, the second largest banking community in the US. We also have team members located in key financial centers across the US, including Atlanta, Boston, Baltimore, Raleigh, Washington DC and beyond. In the UK, we are based in eight city locations, including London, Edinburgh, Leeds and Newcastle.
Examples of Work
- We closed over 300 real estate finance transactions for banks, insurance companies, institutional lenders, and other investors during the past twelve months. These transactions financed the acquisition, development, and construction of a variety of projects including residential, multi-family, office, retail, industrial, and mixed use.
- Represented financial institutions in over 200 syndicated credit facilities, during the past 12 months, in which they were a co-agent or participant lender, ranging from asset-based loans to investment grade unsecured facilities. The volume and diversity of the credit facilities raise a range of complex legal issues, including cross-border issues, and provides our firm with a comprehensive view of market terms in syndicated credit facilities. Also, in response to regulatory demands and a competitive commercial loan market, many banks have been updating their procedures for documentation and approval of syndicated and other large corporate lending transactions, and our firm has assisted with such policy updates and has presented on several occasions to groups including underwriters and in-house lawyers.
- We completed equipment finance and leasing deals in the aggregate of over 5 billion dollars during the past twelve months. The individual transactions ranged from $750,000 to $350 million.
- Over the past year, we financed in excess of 100 public finance transactions that totalled 10 billion dollars
- We represent a US Government agency as lender in finance transactions that fund diverse projects in developing countries around the world, including high-quality schools in Kenya, a deluxe hotel in Liberia, affordable housing projects in Iraq, India, Central and South America, a hydropower plant in Sri Lanka, mortgage financing in Africa, East Asia and Mexico, a US Embassy in Central America, a rice mill in Indonesia, oil fields in South America, a high-tech office tower in Pakistan and the workout recovery of a Central American agricultural loan.
- We have advised on Atom Bank - the UK’s first digital only bank - on fundraisings in excess of £200M, IP protection and all aspects of its IT mobilization.
- Advised a UK government entity on structuring and formation of several funds including a £100million Life Sciences Fund and regional investment fund
- Our banking practice in the UK is underpinned by clearing bank panel appointments to the majority of the major lenders. LMA membership keeps us at the forefront of market developments and expectations.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Insurance Company Limited and others in relation to derivatives and the practical implications of the European Market Infrastructure Regulation
- Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (in administration) in connection with a claim by Merrill Lynch Credit Products LLC raising issues relating to the termination of GMRAs, the circumstances giving rise to events of default under the GMRA and the proper construction of termination notices.
"Highly respected financial services practice with recognized experience across a broad range of matters, including syndicated finance and structured finance. Additional expertise in loan restructurings and workouts."
"Their strengths are their array of technical skills across disciplines and their ability to be user-friendly in demanding situations"
"Fields an experienced and formidable team of strong litigators with top-level trial experience. Acts for clients from a wide range of sectors including real estate, financial services and IT."
"Excellent full service and outstanding trial lawyers."
"Offers a breadth of real estate expertise to financial institutions and developers, handling an array of transactions, litigation and leasing matters."
“The firm's strengths are looking at the big-picture strategy and then navigating all of the details to get the project and team there"