Manufacturers of packaged goods face major legal issues even with the simplest of business tasks. We advise some of the best known packaged goods manufacturers on a wide array of legal issues, including but not limited to: regulatory compliance for advertising, packaging and labeling, distribution, retail sales, indemnification, mergers and acquisitions, tax, employment, patents and trademarks, and related litigation.
Womble Bond Dickinson works closely with manufacturers and retailers of consumer packaged goods to develop strategies which promote their business goals while at the same time mitigating their risks. Because of our experience in the tobacco, firearm, home care and personal care industries, we have a deep understanding of the challenges each client will face and how best to overcome, if not eliminate, them.
Our lawyers have decades of experience working with clients to:
- Ensure packaging, labeling and advertising comply with applicable regulatory framework
- Protect vital intellectual property interests using patents and trademarks
- Structure mergers and acquisitions to take best advantage of the current business landscape
- Solve employment issues with innovative employment contracts
We understand that our clients will face intense competition and governmental scrutiny even after products reach the market. We also understand that unforeseen events can cause dramatic shifts in both the business climate and regulatory landscape overnight. The lawyers in this sector stay up to date on our clients’ industries through governmental contacts and trade associations such so we can help our clients develop strategies that predict challenges rather than react to them. And should litigation become necessary, our clients have access to some of the most experienced courtroom representation in the nation.
What we do
- Consumer regulation and counseling regarding consumer communications
- Regulatory compliance
- Litigation including (broad range of litigation for RAI – consumer class actions, product liability, securities, patent, employment)
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Competition, antitrust and trade regulations
- Advertising and marketing regulation
- State and local taxation
- Patent and trademark
Examples of work
- Defended client in multi-district class action litigation asserting claims under state consumer protection laws
- Trial counsel for defendant in litigation asserting product liability claims resulting in personal injuries,
- Defended client against breach of consent decree claims brought by various state Attorneys General
- Trial counsel in a 5-week bench trial where he defended a branded product against claims brought by a consortium of State Attorneys General that the brand was advertised in a false/misleading fashion. (State of Vermont v. R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company.)
- Represented major American manufacturer in patent preparation and prosecution as well as providing advice and general counsel for innovations in their fabric care, health & well-being, home care, and personal care product lines. These include items such as laundry detergents and pods, gummy vitamins, cleaning products, cat litter, dry shampoo, oral care products, and hair removal products.
- Defended client in suit regarding alleged violations of California Proposition 65.
- Defended client in state class action asserting breach of contract related to brand promotional program.
- Advising Procter & Gamble on the pension implications of the sale of its beauty brands to Coty Inc. in a circa. $12.5bn deal. This was a complex transaction which required the TUPE transfer of staff within the business prior to the sale.
- We advised Colgate Palmolive on their new Agreement with DHL for the transport of goods within the UK and on the UK aspects of Colgate's warehousing agreements with DHL.