John knows land use and real estate litigation and he finds creative solutions to solve client problems. He represents businesses - developers, end users and landowners when they attempt to use land or maximize its value by securing governmental entitlements, forming public-private partnerships or in litigation. John represents private clients as well as local governments and understands the drivers that influence decision-makers.
John’s land use/zoning practice includes being an advocate for his clients. He does this by securing amendments to laws to allow land uses; securing interpretations, permits, approvals and certifications from local, state and federal agencies to entitle development; negotiating agreements with governments including development agreements, reimbursement agreements, water and sewer supply agreements and other similar agreements that provide public infrastructure to support a client’s development; and representing clients and local governments in important matters.
When litigation is necessary, John works with clients to resolve real estate disputes efficiently and effectively. His practice includes advocating for clients in zoning and land use litigation in all forums and handling all types of real estate disputes, such as breach of contract and lease disputes, and boundary, easement and restrictive covenant battles.
Any result the lawyer or law firm may have achieved on behalf of clients in other matters does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- Lead counsel for securing entitlements, development agreement, service supply contracts and incentives for expanding major data center.
- Lead counsel for multi-county infrastructure construction project securing entitlements under Building Code and exemption interpretations.
- Lead counsel for commercial real estate developer securing entitlements through litigation and settlement for a big box retail store.
- Lead counsel for partially developed recreational community securing interpretations of compliance with flood hazard and land use regulations and Building Code.
- Lead counsel for securing right to redevelop old office building in a downtown area into a mixed-use hotel and condominium project.