IP, Technology and Data
In today’s competitive, global, knowledge-based business environment, companies live and die on the strength and security of their intellectual property.
Womble Bond Dickinson has the resources and skills to assist our clients in protecting, maximizing and monetizing their technology and intellectual property assets.
Our intellectual property, technology and data team regularly supports our clients’ needs in the following areas:
- Resolving patent, trademark, copyright, design, and other IP infringement, validity, opposition and entitlement disputes in UK, US and EU courts and patent offices, as well as by international arbitration. Our experience includes assisting clients with related antirust/unfair competition claims as well as with cross-border disputes
- Conducting detailed patent investigations and analyses in all technical areas and procuring patents in the US, UK, the European Patent Office and in other international patent offices throughout the world
- Representing clients in inter partes and post-grant review proceedings
- Clearing, registering and maintaining trademarks and designs throughout the world
- Developing worldwide anti-infringement and anti-counterfeiting strategies and protocols for leading brands
- Structuring and negotiating complex IP transactions, including licensing arrangements, research and development agreements, collaboration agreements, technology joint ventures and strategic alliances, among others
- Advising clients in sponsorship, advertising, sweepstakes and promotions, merchandising and franchising arrangements.
Strength of service - intellectual property
- More than 100 qualified IP lawyers and patent agents in the US and UK.
- Chambers ranking in intellectual property in multiple jurisdictions
- Patent experience in the electrical, technology/software, mechanical, materials science, chemical, and pharmaceutical and biotech/genetics fields. Many of our team members hold advanced degrees (Masters or Ph.D.), and are former scientists and engineers. Several are former USPTO examiners
- More than 2,000 patent and trademark prosecution clients worldwide
- Womble Bond Dickinson has an active and growing patent prosecution practice and manages nearly 16,000 active patent matters, including issued and pending patents, throughout the world. We prepare and file approximately 2,000 patent applications per year throughout the world
- Approximately 10,000 global trademarks under management
- More than 30 practitioners focused on resolution of domestic and multinational IP-related disputes
- IP transactional experience extending across a wide spectrum of industry sectors, including IT, life sciences, biotech and pharmaceuticals, chemicals, and advanced manufacturing.
Technology, data and cyber security
Our technology, data and cyber security team advises clients in the ever-changing areas of information technology, privacy, cyber-security and data protection. We regularly advise clients in:
- Data protection, including conducting privacy and security assessments, workplace policies and procedures, employee training, and managing privacy risks in mergers and acquisitions
- Procurement and licensing of IT enterprise systems and services
- Cloud-based solutions and software-as-a-service (“SaaS”) arrangements
- eCommerce, online services and associated regulatory compliance
- Technology acquisition and partnering, including M&A, joint venture, and licensing transactions
- Technology investing, for start-ups, venture capital firms and our largest clients, including related securities, governance and employment issues
- Communications network cybersecurity compliance planning and support, counseling communications providers on cybersecurity best practices and developing procedures for handling cyber incidents, breach recovery and response protocols that are designed to limit fall-out damages post-incident
- Fintech (payment services, challenger banks)
- Insurtech, including peer-to-peer networks, telematics, cyber insurance and other technology-related insurance products
- Cyber and security technologies
- Digital media
Strength of service - technology, data and cyber security
- Womble Bond Dickinson has 47 lawyers who focus on technology, data protection and cyber security. Our multidisciplinary team works regionally and internationally on both contentious and non-contentious matters
- Chambers ranked as a top information technology firm
- Technology and data experience with a wide range of client industry groups, including financial institutions, insurance, retail and consumer, healthcare, transportation and infrastructure, public sector, and education
- Served two of the Global Top 10 fintech companies and some of the world’s largest financial institutions
- Specific experience helping clients safeguard consumer, financial and healthcare information
- Regularly advise businesses about global consumer data collection and privacy protection regulations and qualification and compliance with the Privacy Shield program of the United States Department of Commerce and the European Union, as well as federal, state and local privacy law.